Feldberg Travel Blog

Feldberg is a ski resort in the Black Forrest near Freiburg in the south west part of Germany. I had been here in the mountains in the summertime with all its beauty but never while it was all white in its winter coat. We arrived in the small village of Hinterzarten at 8pm, where we had booked a suite at the Hotel Sonnenberg for a very fair prise.

We left Brussels at noon but went via Roermond in Holland because my girlfriend wanted to buy new ski clothes at the outlet.  All the way we had been having 4-8 degrees so my girlfriend had been nervous for the ski conditions but the forecast had stated good skiing conditions.

When we left the main road in Frieburg towards Feldberg we started to get colder weather and suddenly the degrees fell to around 0 and there was snow along the road. After a few more sharp turn on the serpentine road we were at below -4 and the snow was piled up everywhere.

The hotel was situated on a hill over viewing a small valley. We were greeted by a friend guy which turned out to be the owner. The suite that he gave us was very nice and consisting of two rooms and two bathrooms; one with a shower and one with a tub. At this time of day we couldn't see the view but we saw that we had two large balconies too. The kitchen was closed but the guy recommended that we went to the centre of the village where there were several restaurants.

We took the car and drove the 2km in the clear frosty night and stopped in front of one of the hotels in the city where we could see that the restaurant was open. It turned out to be at Hotel Thomahof run by the family Thoma. We had a very nice dinner there before we went back to the hotel to get some rest so we could be fresh the following morning.

Chokk says:
I hope you had great weather! thinking about doing a trip again in a couple of weeks
Posted on: Feb 13, 2010
missandrea81 says:
It's very nice to read about your impressions. I was here just yesterday. :)
Posted on: Feb 13, 2010