Arequipa..

Arequipa Travel Blog

Arequipa or the white city as its also known really took me by suprise, as the flight came into land i could see the fantastic landscape, the 3 volcanos where very prominent and i was shocked at how big the place was. It was great to get back into a walmer climate, and it was good feeling to stuff with walking boots to the back of my pack and put my flipflops on. The hostel we stayed in was really nice, a huge wooden door leading to beautiful courtyard full of hanging plants and pink flowers, there was a nice terrace with a bbq area and seating. we all decided to have a night out, i think everyone was ready for it after the Inca trail. Beforehand we took a walk down to the plaza, it was the weekend before easter and decorations were going up outside of the church. I took a visit to the Santa catalina monastery, nobody else was bothered but it was nice to spend some time on my own. The monastery is like a city within a city, 20,000sq meters of streets, rooms, and courtyards, it was really fasinating, as i walked around the streets i imagined how the nuns lived there lives in silence shutting themselves off from the outside world and devoting their lives to god. It had a very spanish feel, orange and white walls, bright red geraniums everywhere, the colours were fabulous. It was a great place to visit. Our evening went well, it was the first time the group had all been out for the night not having to do anything the day after. And we all made the most of it...
Arequipa