short stop in Malaysia

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

Petronas and Suria KLCC.

At 7 am I arrived in Kuala Lumpur!

So where are the koala’s? (not my joke)

For just a short while I took the train and metro to spend an hour in Malaysia’s capital. My first impression is not a really good one. I was looking forward to seeing this city, but now when I look back I do so with mixed feelings. There is a lot of luxury, there are futuristic skyscrapers and monorails and state-of-the-art electronics, but I got the feeling it was all a facade. Walk on for a few hundred meters and you will find ugly concrete and dirty, boring streets. And beggars. The modernisation is not for them. People don’t look happy, but bored and serious. I could not find the broad smile of Malaysia Airlines in Kuala Lumpur.

Off course I took pictures of the Petronas Towers and the KL Tower, but unfortunately there was no time to enter these towers.

At the check-in for Manila a happy businessman from Hong Kong started to chat with me, telling me all sorts of stories. He worked as a consultant in Manila and loved travelling. He apologized in case his talking might make me feel a bit apprehensive, but he told me he had learned in the Philippines that it is fun to talk to strangers. Just before we boarded, he shared some kind of muesli-bar with me, but a Chinese version. He told me the ingredients, but I didn’t understand what he was saying. Tasted nice though.

Jeroenadmiraal says:
Hi Erna! Yes, my impression was not so good, but I was in Malaysia only a few hours, so that is not very long. I am sure there are many friendly people there. Maybe I will meet them next time :)
Posted on: Feb 04, 2009
ErnaButterfly says:
Its too bad abt ur impression of KL, maybe u could come back and you might actually like it.
Posted on: Feb 04, 2009