Jungle-covered churches

San Pablo Travel Blog

Church of San Pablo

In Philippino history, there are no civilizations that left majestic ruins, except, of course, the ancient ricefields. The modern Philippine republic, too, has no buildings that are famous the world over. Besides the ricefields, the other buildings often photographed are a select few old Spanish churches. Only a handful of these old churches can be found in the Philippines and they are part of the Unesco world heritage list. The churches are massive, crumbling ruins, overgrown with vegetation, strengthened to withstand earthquakes. Often a massive belfry towers next to it, in the shape of a stretched Maya temple.

One of the most beautiful of these churches is to be found in the little town San Pablo, Isabela.

Church of San Pablo

Not much else happened during the weekend. People go home early. I have given my opening presentation, but I am not very happy with the way it turned out. I think people see me as the arrogant young westerner who´s going to tell older people the way it’s done. Perhaps it was inevitable.

Philippine people are very very kind and abhor any kind of conflict, and it gives you the impression you cannot go wrong, but that is a mistake. If you make mistakes, people won’t tell you, but after a while it will work against you. By subtle signs they show you their disagreement, but if you cannot recognise the signs, you get into trouble. Luckily my supervisor has a lot of experience with working in the Philippines and he interrupted the presentation to emphasize one or two things. Also luckily, Philippino’s are very forgiving. Laugh a lot and crack a few jokes, and there is no harm done.

TravellinChic says:
This is a good insight from someone not from the Philippines :) I agree with the culture..the non-confrontational and the "everything is ok" mask is a very Asian thing..not just Philippines. I remember my Japanese classmate being worse on this when we were studying in London..our Mexican classmate might have thought he is getting away with being a free rider on group works..if only he knew how our Japanese classmate is cursing him when he's not around :P It's not a very good attitude, not being true and more open to disagreements..but thats the culture...very non-confrontational..
Posted on: Aug 11, 2010
RJ82 says:
its true that theres not alot of architecture left in philippines but the beaches and nature outside the major cities are great. i hope you get accustomed to the filipinos.
Posted on: Feb 15, 2009
sylviandavid says:
Very insightful blog... thank you.
Posted on: Feb 15, 2009