Busy Manila

Manila Travel Blog

Robinson's Place

My first impression of Manila is not much better that of Kuala Lumpur, albeit different. Manila is very chaotic, but lively, while KL is organised, but feels downcast. There is lots and lots of traffic in Manila and there are numberless little shops, all fiercely competing for space. The streets are dirty and there is heavily armed security everywhere. Still, I didn’t feel unsafe in Manila. Security is a way of creating jobs. It all went too fast for making pictures.

I guess the Philippino’s get tired of the noise as well, so they built an enormous shopping mall named Robinson’s, where everybody can stroll around in peace. I’ve heard you can even buy Dutch tulips here! My cellphone appears to be useless in the Philippines, so I went to an internet cafe to contact my old folks. Maybe I need to buy another phone.

On my way back to the hotel (which was not really luxurious but there was still 24/7 security) the sun went down.

Robinson's Place
Immediately every few meters guys approached me, asking if I was looking for a nice girl. At one time, the girls themselves tried to get my attention.

By now I had to give my first name a few times (not to any girl), but nobody seems to understand my name (Jeroen). I have seen people write down Yur and Yurn and Yawn. I think I will stick to Yurn in the future.

Thats it for today, I’m exhausted. I wish I still had my book, but I accidentally left it in the airplane. Luckily I found another book in my new appartment, Moby Dick. I’ll try that one.

tashgorgeous says:
Hey Yurn! lol I work like 2 blocks away from Robinson's - not the places where there are girls alright? lol let me know when you're back if you want to see the other side of Manila - the not too dirty side ;)
Posted on: May 16, 2009
jaeden says:
Robinson's doesn't even compare to Mall of Asia. That one is...ridiculous.
Posted on: Mar 08, 2009
RJ82 says:
not a very good impression of manila. but manila does have all those mega malls.
Posted on: Feb 05, 2009