Around the countryside

Tuguegarao Travel Blog

Tuguegarao, city of tricycles

Today I had lunch at Jollibee’s, the Philippino version of McDonalds and very very popular in the Philippines. Why? Err... they have great chicken! They say you haven’t been in the Philippines if you haven’t been to Jollibee’s. But they also say you haven’t been in the Philippines if you haven’t had fermented fish paste, which is a pretty word for plain squashed rotten fish, or if you haven’t tried balut. Balut is a half-grown duck embryo, boiled inside its own egg. I haven’t had the pleasure of seeing or eating balut, yet. But it sounds fascinating. And disgusting.

Good thing they have a lot of pasta’s in the Philippines, because I can’t cook!

The nearest Jollibee’s is in the city Tuguegarao.

A new definition of chaos!
I have landed there but I haven’t seen the city yet, so today was the day. I won’t be there often because first of all it is a long way from here and second of all: I don’t want to go there! Tuguegarao is quite possibly even more growded and filthier than Manila! It even reminded me of Cairo, which is in this context not a positive thing. More than 100.000 people live here, and together they have about 10.000 tricycles. There is a rule nowadays that only a limited number of tricycles can be used every day, but who’s counting anyway.

The Philippines continues to fascinate me. Even while driving from one city to the next, I notice a thousand things that are so completely different from the Netherlands. There are water buffalos everywhere (I used to see buffalos only in zoos) with those big horns. The farmers use the buffalos for ploughing, but oddly enough the buffalo is badly adapted to the heat. So the farmer can only plough a small bit and needs to let his buffalo cool down again.

Alongside the road, people lay broad lines of grain to dry. This is actually illegal because cars can easily slip on the grain, but people do it anyway. I heard that at certain dates there is so much grain on the road you need to slalom around it with your car. I also saw people transporting a pig in a tricycle, hehehe. And when I got home, there were buffalos grazing in my backyard! Whoa!

jennethm says:
Yes, it's too different from the Netherlands. It can be chaotic compared to the orderly and regulated NL, but it's a chaos that we learned to love here :) Nice blog again.
Posted on: Jul 15, 2009
jaeWALK says:
didnt expect anyone to blog about my boring hometown. haha! a friend is going there too within the next few months to study the local fauna. like you he is doing research and he's from germany. im helping him out get in touch with the local authorities there. i should have met you in here before so i could have helped you out with what you need there and my family could have shown you around.
Posted on: May 12, 2009
jonatz says:
i enjoyed reading this blog!
Posted on: Mar 21, 2009
Bye bye come again.
Bye bye come again.
Grain alongside the road.
Grain alongside the road.
Welcome to Isabela.