Australia Travel Blog

Where would you toss a Tuna?

Port Lincoln, that's where.

The Tunarama Festival began in 1960 and is primarily aimed at the family market, with free entertainment, competitions and contests being organised for all age groups. Traditionally the Tunarama Festival has been held over the Australia Day long weekend with the original idea to help promote the tuna industry which was just emerging in Port Lincoln. This date also coincided with the fishing fleet putting to sea. Nowadays, with increased technology and the advent of the Aquaculture industry, (which has seen the end of the tuna poling method) the tuna fishing operations in Port Lincoln have changed, but the Festival has remained and is in its 48th year.
Sunflower300 says:
That is crazy.
I love how you have the Tunarama festival and culture in the same paragraph. LOL
We have just had Australia Day and Tunarama is held over that long weekend.
Awww, a little bit of Aussie in North Dakota, how sweet. :)
Posted on: Feb 03, 2009
alyssa_ob says:
This is so crazy. I read this entry yesterday and then that night on the 10 o'clock news (in Grand Forks, ND, not known for its "culture"), was a clip of the Tunarama tossing. We watched 3 or 4 people toss their tuna. They said it was in southern Australia, but I'm still surprised it appeared on our local news! Was Tunarama held just recently?
Posted on: Feb 03, 2009
Getting ready for a big toss
Getting ready for a big toss (No…
and shes off
(Not my photo)
and she's off (Not my photo)