Aussies and sport

Australia Travel Blog

Australians love their sport, if an Aussie doesn’t play sport, they’ll watch sport; if they don’t watch sport, they will bet on sport; if they don’t bet on sport... well, you get the picture. If there isn’t sport to be played, watched or bet on, then you can be sure an Aussie will find a way to make a sport out of whatever they may be doing at the time. Sitting at a red light, “I bet I can take off faster than the car next to me.” Watching two seagulls fighting over a chip (French fry), “My money’s on the bird on the left.” There is just no telling what an Aussie will do in the name of sport if bored enough or drunk enough. If you don’t believe me, I came across a quiz on the internet the other day, that I feel proves my point. The quiz lists a bunch of wacky ‘sports’ events and festivals around Australia and you need to guess which Australian town is the proud host of the event.

I don’t know if I am proud or ashamed to say I answered 11 out of the 12 questions correctly. I knew a few the answers and the rest I guessed. I guess it might just be that I am so familiar with my country that I could guess which town is the host (or not the host) to which sport. I have not been to each town or even previously heard of many of these events, but I thought it would make an interesting blog for anyone attracted to the wacky side of travel. If given the chance, I would like to see some of these events, there are others though, I will happily steer clear of.

See how you go with the quiz, or at least have some fun laughing at the crazy things some Aussies have come up with, most likely while under the influence of one too many beers.

Lord_Mike says:
Good...then you are safe, thank God!
Sunflower300 says:
Thanks so much for all the wonderful smiles and funny comments Mike. I'm glad you liked the blog. :)
The fires are in the state north of where I live, so I am under no threat.
Lord_Mike says:
This is hilarious! I hope the wildfires are nowhere near you, Elke!!!