Hong Kong

Hong Kong Travel Blog

I spent a rather short but interesting trip to Hong Kong on New Year's Eve 2006.  We arrived at Langhams Hotel, a very presigious 5* hotel in Kowloon.  After waiting for what seemed like ever for our rooms, we went dumped our luggage in our room and were blown away by how nice out room was and the hotel itself.  There was a glass lift that looked took us up to our room, most of the hotel was marble flooring and the walls were adorned with chinese symbols and exquisite paintings.  I took a bath in a huge round tub, almost like a mini spa it was so big. The night time in Hong Kong was spent in our hotel bar drinking champagne to celebrate the New Year.  We saw the fireworks from the balcony and opted for a night in this night as we had to fly to NZ the next day.

We soothed our hangovers the next day with breakfast in the hotel then went for a look around the shops. The markets were incredibly interesting with all sorts of strange things, from funny ornaments to clothes and the most unedible food I have ever seen. We walked past markets that had chickens in cages, waiting for slaughter, I could almost swear that I spotted some dogs too.  It was around the time as the Avian Bird Flu outbreak so we were a bit concerned.  The smog and the sweet smell on food and incense filled the air. We then walked back to our hotel and took a few pictures of Hong Kong harbour from the top of our hotel. There was a swimming pool and spa which looked lovely. The smog and humidity was crazy, after that we then went to the bar and had a drink while waiting for our transfer to the airport. Hong Kong is definetly a must visit destination.