Urban Renewal

Columbus Travel Blog

vendors close to the stadium

This year's anniversary present to the parents was a set of tickets to Ohio State's first football game.  My little sister then went all sneaky on me and bought the other three tickets for me, herself, and her boyfriend.  It's a family day trip!

Getting up at six on a Saturday was not my favorite idea but with a two and half hour drive and the need to beat traffic, it was a necessity.  I got to my parents about a quarter till seven as I had anticipated and Dad was already itching to get out the door.  My sister lives just across the street so it was very short drive to our first stop :)  Megan and Tommy came out her side door (front door?) as I went up the walk.  We filled up the backseat and were off.

We stopped once at a Starbucks to use the restroom and get another dose of coffee for Megan.

the Shoe
  Tommy and I both think she is addicted.  As we neared Columbus, Dad navigated us through several road switches (a little bit of navigation from me in the back with the city map) but the feared traffic jam never materialized.

We parked at a Goodwill place that my parents had found a year or two before on their trip to the opening OSU game.  Only ten dollars to park, it was probably a mile and a half out from the stadium but it was a really easy walk with only one major street crossing.

I could hear music blasting from a pre-game party going on across the street from St. Johns Arena and as I caught a glimpse of the stadium, I felt my excitement surge.  I can't remember how long ago I saw the Buckeyes live, and now I couldn't wait to see them take the field.

stained glass near stadium entrance

We passed a police officer there to help with traffic but he was a little disappointed with his role; he held a sign saying "I'd rather be in the shoe."  I loved it!  We had to wait just a moment at a light and then we swept along with the crowd towards a covered walkway next to St. Johns.  Here another enthusiastic fan shouted "O-H" and we chimed in with "I-O!"

We got through security ok.  Mom had to open all the pockets on her small purse, they didn't worry too much about the insides of my drawstring bag (had the ponchos), but Tommy had to open his shorts pockets.  The guard wanted to know why he needed two cell phones but when he pointed at Megan, the guy just nodded in understanding.

Inside we went to the left and then up some ramps, then some stairs.

panaroma of the stadium
  We came out overlooking the flagpole and the north end.  Our seats were just to the left and had a walkway in front of them so we ended up having a very clear view of the field.  I took a few pictures while Tommy and Megan hunted down pizza and water for us.  Dad also found a program and the restrooms.  He also found Urban Meyer out on the field.  (Dad likes his binoculars!)

Pre-game activities stoked the crowd up: the team warming up, the appearance of TBDBTL and their awesome music and Script Ohio, the bright flashing new scoreboards.

We all cheered kick-off.  Then the OSU fans had to watch a pretty horrible first quarter.  Our offense was doing nothing.  The defense couldn't stop little passes from Miami's quarterback (Miami of Ohio, just to be clear) and gave up two huge passes.

"Do You Love Me? Do You, Surfer Girl?"
  They were able to hold Miami to a field goal when a touchdown looked pretty definite but the offense was still not pulling it together.

Second quarter things started looking up for hte Buckeyes with a few touchdowns.  Dad pointed out that during the quarter break somebody lit a fire under them.  We still went into half time too close to Miami in points.

Miami's band performed two numbers and then the amazingness that is the Ohio State Marching Band took to the field for a Beach Boys' themed halftime show.  They created formations to match the music: a vehicle carrying a surfboard, palm trees on the beach with a sun above, a surfer out on the waves (and the waves moved!), two lovers walking towards each other and then holding hands.

extra point
  It was the best halftime show I can ever remember seeing.

Third quarter opened with a scoring drive for the Buckeyes and then very shortly an interception that they turned into seven more points.  The second half continued pretty much in the same happy pattern of us playing well.  It did rain a little, just enough to break out the ponchos and then have the precipitation stop.  The band used the third quarter to roam the stadium; four sousaphones up in our section played "Hang On, Sloopy."  Yay :)

Final score was something like 55-10, a great start to the Urban Meyer era in Ohio.  We joined the crowd in singing the alma mater (thanks to the lyrics on the scoreboard) and then made our way down to the ground.  The walk back to the car was easy although I was a little worried about rain (this would come on the drive home).

onto the field after the game
  Traffic was heavier to get out of the city than it had been to get in but we did keep moving for the most part.

We stopped for dinner at a Cracker Barrel near Mansfield.  Most of us had chicken, Megan had breakfast.

Dad did a great job driving us back home.  I dozed some of the time, the long day and short night catching up to me.

diisha392 says:
I think so especially since I was in marching band myself for nine years :)
Posted on: Sep 03, 2012
Dr_Seuss says:
Half time entertainment sounds better than the first 2 quarters :D
Posted on: Sep 02, 2012
panaroma of the stadium
Do You Love Me? Do You, Surfer Gi…
"Do You Love Me? Do You, Surfer G…
bridge we walked over
pregame cheering
pregame cheering
Miamis band
Miami's band
Buckeye band coming out of the tun…
Buckeye band coming out of the tu…
preparing to come down the field
leading cheers in the stands
leading cheers in the stands
lots of push ups today for ROTC
lots of push ups today for ROTC
sousaphones in the stands!
sousaphones in the stands!
Columbus