A Stressful Drive

Virginia Beach Travel Blog

 › entry 6 of 37 › view all entries
leading into the Shamrock shop

I had hoped to leave school at 2:40, right when teachers were released for the day, a rare occurence for me.  However, it was picture day for my track team and we still had kids needing uniforms.  I knew Dawson would need my help so I headed down to the field and wrote down numbers as the athletes surrounded us.  However, I still slipped out within a half hour and thought that I would be safe to take the route that swung by DC.  The beltway was no problem; I-95 south was another story.

The longer I sat in traffic (maybe 20 miles in an hour), the more I began to panic.  A call to my mom confirmed that the distance and the amount of time I had left did not look good.  I had to be at the convention center by 9.  It was nearing 6 and I was maybe 30 miles outside of DC.  My sister and her ride had hoped that they would beat me and could pick up my bib number for me but they were stuck somewhere behind me since they had hit traffic on I-270.  I grabbed dinner at McDonald's shortly after traffic had finally started moving again.

Thankfully Richmond was past rush hour by the time I reached it.  I kept calling my mom (no GPS) every so often for her to check my distance on Mapquest.  As I neared the bridge/tunnel that led into the Virginia Beach area, I finally relaxed; my clock showed only a little after 8.

Finding the convention center was easy and a parking space was also easy to locate.  Impressed with the huge glass front of the building, I walked in quickly.  There was no wait to pick up my bib number.  The wait for my bag and T-shirt was also very short.  The lines to check out at the Shamrock store were a different story but luckily I didn't want to buy anything there.  I did do a little bit of browsing in the Expo area and picked up a sticker for my sister that said 26.2 and had a green shamrock.

From the convention center I drove about a dozen blocks to reach the hotel.  I called up to the room to let Janie know I was coming.  I took the elevator up, walked down a hallway bordered with windows on one side, and knocked.  I had only met Janie once before but she met me with a smile at the door.  We chatted for a minute and then I got ready to go move my car (only one space in the hotel lot per room).  Just then Megan arrived so she dropped off her bags and went with me instead to move my car.

Back in the room we chatted with Janie for a bit; Kim and Chrissie were already turned in for the night.  Janie offered to let us use the bed for the night which I appreciated since my race was the next morning.  We said good night and then went to bed.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
leading into the Shamrock shop
leading into the Shamrock shop