Rest Day

New Orleans Travel Blog

Tommy at breakfast

We weren't in a rush to wake up the next morning since tomorrow we would be getting up extremely early.  However, Megan and Janie were still quick risers; the smell of percolating coffee was part of my wake-up call.

Our group had seen an IHOP the day before during our walking so once again we headed out the back of the hotel and trekked past the movie crew.  Happily, the IHOP was on the main road close to our hotel versus down in the French Quarter.  Even though the place was busy we were seated without much of a wait.  I had blueberry pancakes (with a dollop of whip cream), bacon, scrambled eggs, and hash browns.  Yum!

Our group of competitors was kind of broken into two sets: those of us who were running for time and those of us who were participating more for the finish and fun.

near the pharmacy
  I fell into the running for time group (along with Janie, Megan, and Tommy) which meant that after breakfast we took it really easy.  Janie stopped in a pharmacy to look for a throw away shirt to wear over her main running clothes tomorrow but other than that stop we didn't spend much time walking around.

We did walk the opposite direction of our hotel for a late lunch/early dinner.  We found a place with Italian food.  I had tortellini--carbo loading!  It was good food and efficient service.

We hung out in the concierge lobby on our floor for some of the day including when our crew planned out strategy for tomorrow.  Neal, Sparky, and David needed to be poistioned where they could provide aid (like a change of socks or a banana) if wanted.  We poured over a variety of maps to figure this out and also exchanged cell phone numbers.  Two running couples also hung out in the lounge for a bit and we all chatted.

That evening I had a snack in the room and we watched "The Descendents" from the pay per view menu.  None of us were impressed with the film.  We turned in earlier than last night; tomorrow was race day!

in the lounge