Pre Race Day

Walt Disney World Travel Blog

Janie picked Megan and me up at Megan's place early Friday morning.  The trip to the airport was uneventful and soon we had walked in to the terminal and were checking in Janie and Megan's suitcases.  Once through security, we camped out next to the moving sidewalk near our gate since the chairs in the waiting area were filled.  Megan took advantage of the time to get a dose of coffee.

The flight loaded and took off on time, and we landed in Orlando still early in the day.  Our bags came through.  We boarded the Magical Express, and soon were at Old Key West, our resort for the next three days.  Although Mom had actually checked us in on-line yesterday (one of the perks of being a Vacation Club member), we were way too early for getting into our room.

packet pick up
  We left our bags with the bell hop and boarded another bus, this one heading towards the ESPN World of Sports.

This place was impressive!  (Although I was also excited about the warm temperatures.)  We went into a building on the left first to pick up our race packets.  We split up into two groups since I was only running the half marathon.  Megan and Janie were registered for the Goofy Challenge, the half on Saturday and the full on Sunday.  I was surprised at being able to just walk up and get my bag.  With all the people in the complex, I had expected a long line.

We met up again and then found the booth to change corrals.  I was currently placed in A corral (the first one), Janie was in C, and Megan was in E.  We did not know the actual times to qualify for each corral, but Megan was the fastest of us, and I was fairly certain that with a qualifying time of just under two hours there was no way I should be in the top corral.

Starting farther back would not be a problem but Megan would need permission to move up.  All three of us were surprised when the lady told Megan that two hours was the time needed to run in Corral A.  Apparently Disney has a lot of runners more interested in enjoying their half marathon than trying to PR.  So with some computer assistance, Megan and Janie were able to join me in Corral A placement.

After this we got lunch.  The pasta was ok; the French fries were better :)  Then we joined the long line to enter the Expo.  Happily, this line moved quickly.  I found my Mouse Ear 13.1 car magnet, but overall we felt that this expo had less to offer than the Mardi Gras race in New Orleans last year.

We headed back to the hotel after a photo op.

the Expo
  I had received the text that our room was ready.  We were on the third floor of a building just across the parking lot from the Hospitality House.  Janie walked into the room and onto our balcony that overlooked the golf course and said that she really liked it.  Old Key West has become a favorite place for me to stay; I was happy that our friend was pleased.

We ate dinner at Olivia's, the resort's restaurant.  That was our big excitement for the evening.  Well that and deciding who would wear which color tutu in the race tomorrow morning!  With a wake-up call shortly before 3 AM, we went to bed fairly early.

P.S. My browser currently hates me.  I had to type this three times :P