At the Nutter Center

Dayton Travel Blog

the tempting doughnuts

Megan and I left my parents' around 11 which meant I had been able to take the morning easy and make sure I had everything.  I also got in my last training run, a simple two mile run in the neighborhood just to stay loose.

We stopped for a late lunch at a Tim Horton's less than a half hour east of Columbus.  I was tempted by their OSU-themed doughnuts but settled for the healthier chicken wrap.

We got around the capital without a problem and the last part of our journey to Dayton also went smoothly.  I was excited to see the sign for the Nutter Center, and soon we were walking up the steps into the arena.

outside the Nutter Center

We had to walk through the entire expo before being able to enter the arena part where bib pick-up was taking place.  I watched my feet as we went down the long steps; getting hurt the day before the marathon was not on my to-do list.  I pretty much walked right up to the counter for my bib.  Picking up my long-sleeve shirt was just as easy.

Back up the steep steps, we made rounds two and three of the expo.  I found the 26.2 car magnet that I wanted which Megan bought and then pocketed for after the race.  I also found a vendor (3:16 Athletic Wear) that had inspirational words on the front of the shirt and then a Bible verse on the back.  I really liked these tops plus they were on sale.  I picked out two--one light blue, one royal purple--and my sister bought them for me as a gift.

bib pick-up from above

Having our fill of the expo, we went back out to the car to wait on Mandi and Brad.  I graded some papers as the meeting time approached and then the texts pushing the time back starting to arrive.  Buying a bike took them a little longer than anticipated.  We noticed dark storm clouds moving in so we decided to make a dash for the arena before the deluge.  This was a good call.  The rainstorm hit less than ten minutes once we were inside and it was torrential along with some thunder and lightening.  The 5K that was supposed to take place at 6:30 got delayed; the runners were told to sit in the arena and we followed.  Eventually the race would be cancelled but we would be gone before that decision.

We sat for only a little bit before Megan spotted Mandi and Brad making their way down the steps.  We hurried over, hugged hello, and then set off to collect the remaining bibs.  The other two weren't interested in browsing the expo really.  Brad just wanted to buy some more Cliff Blocks for tomorrow.  Food purchased, we braved the slightly-less-heavy rain for the cars.

Despite the weather, the drive to RJ and Anne's went smoothly.  Megan and I settled our stuff in the basement bedroom and then headed back upstairs for a wonderful pre-race dinner prepared by Anne.

We stayed up for about an hour after dinner and set plans for the next morning.  We said good night and headed to bed, a short night ahead before the big race.

vances says:
Everything comes full circle. My stepson Eric, who I just ran the Chicago Marathon with, had his high school graduation at the Nutter Center!
Posted on: Oct 19, 2013
bib pick-up from above
I really do like running but I can…
I really do like running but I ca…
killing time during the downpour