A Little Detour

Columbus Travel Blog

After a bit I started to feel the change in pressure associated with a descent.  My watch was in my purse (metal + security = bad past experience), so I just assumed it was around 11, and we were heading into Cleveland.  Then the flight attendant came on.  "Ladies and gentlemen, Cleveland has gotten some lake effect snow.  The runways are closed down.  We are going to land in Columbus."  She went on to explain that we did not have enough fuel to keep circling while they cleared the runways, so we had to go south to refuel.

So a half hour later I found myself on the ground again.  We waited uncertainly.  I found myself attempting to explain the situation to the non-English speaking mother in the row across from me.  (She ended up calling her sister and handing me the phone.  Once her sister understood what was going on, I handed the phone back, and she translated.)  One woman decided her friend lived just as close to Columbus, grabbed her bag, and headed off.  Luckily though, after a 20-minute wait we closed the door (as I made one last quick call to my sister), taxied down the runway, and took off for Cleveland.

photo by: PhinsAndGills