Frosty Frolic 5K...Or the Slushy, Jog/Run 4.SomethingK

Canton Travel Blog

Last year the town where I live hosted an evening 5K that took runners among pretty Christmas lights.  My Run Club really enjoyed the set-up, scenery, and close location. Unfortunately, that race was cancelled this year.  One of the run club members posted on our Facebook page about another evening race about an hour away so I decided to sign up for that one.

The day of the race was cold, and snow made the roads slow-going.  Luckily, I was carpooling with four other runners in an SUV.  We did not get our speed up for the first half of the trip but we still arrived with plenty of time to pick up our bibs and glow sticks.  We went back to the SUV to finish getting ready for the race and then passed bibs off to my sister and her fiance who had been caught behind some very slow traffic.

A group photo on the steps leading up to the McKinley Memorial filled some of the last half hour before the race.  We were a little worried about the state of the race route but the directors cut almost half a mile off the course to make it safer.

My sister lined up with me at the start since she was still recovering from an injury from the week before Thanksgiving.  When the race started, we found ourselves in the middle of a large crowd of not just runners but also joggers and walkers.  Megan and I jumped up the curb to run in the snow to get around some of the slower movers.  About a half mile or so into the race, we reached the Christmas lights in the park.  We saw a sea serpent, toy soldiers, and of course Santa.  The last part of the race was uphill which was a little annoying since the crowd had thinned enough to run now but we finished strong with another Run Club member.

I took our timing chips back and got our medals which were pretty cute with snowmen on them.  That was a big plus to the race, everyone getting finisher medals.  We also enjoyed the cookies and hot chocolate.

My group also stopped at Subway for dinner on the way home.

Canton