Coast to Coast Challenge Accepted

Anaheim Travel Blog

Janie and Tommy pre-race

From a racing perspective, this half marathon did not go well.  However, I learned some lessons on what not to do leading up to my big race in Dayton and I have some fun photo memories to carry with me.

With a start time of 5:30 AM, we were up early.  Getting ready wasn't hard; I wore my trusty black racing skirt and a blue tank.  The heat of the last few days ensured that my throw-away shirt would be left in the room and eventually come back to Ohio.  I made sure to wear my Mickey earrings from Jeannie.  I had some trail mix for breakfast.  Neal wished us luck and the four of us set off for the corral area.

There were not a lot of people when we first left the hotel but by the time we were walking through Downtown Disney a crowd had formed.  It was still a lot easier to make our way past bag check (none for us) and to the Porta-Potties than it had been at the World race.

start line
  Getting to the corrals was also pretty simple.  Janie entered the B one.  I sat with Megan and Tommy near the front of A for a bit and then backed up near the end of our group.

The race started with a lot of shuffling but I was running by the time I hit the start mat.  I remember feeling surprised that it was already mile one until I saw that I close to 40 seconds slower than the pace I wanted.  This would unfortunately be the norm for the day, anywhere from 30-60 seconds slow per mile the whole race.

At least there were a lot of neat sights along the route:

• Paradise Pier at Disney California Adventure where the World of Color lights and fountains were on
  • Cars Land all lit up
  • Main Street in Disneyland filled with cheering spectators
  • running through the castle and across the drawbridge
  • Disney characters such as Green Army men and Merida posing for photos in the parks
  • a Latino dance group in traditional clothing
  • a Hawaiian dance group also in traditional dress
  • a mile of old cars, Corvettes, and Mustangs, owners proudly watching and honking the horns
  • many marching bands
  • cheerleaders giving high fives
  • Scouting groups (boy and girl) filling the path through the parking lot of Angels stadium and then in the seats inside
  • costumes on fellow runners including Chip, two Peter Pans, Nemo, and multiple Minnie Mouses

At the end I high-fived Goofy as I crossed a confetti-strewn finish line.

Megan and Tommy pre-race
  I was tired and disappointed in my time but I had a day of sightseeing ahead.

World of Color lights