My Boston Run

Boston Travel Blog

Laurie at the marathon finish line

For many runners getting to run in the Boston Marathon is a dream, a lifetime goal. Most of us will not make it. I am so proud of my sister, brother-in-law, and our friend Janie for their huge accomplishment when they got to run the marathon this year. However, even in the middle of planning their big moment, my sister made sure to nudge me to sign up for the BAA 5K that would be run two days before the marathon.

So that's how I found myself on a sunny Saturday morning surrounded by hundreds of other runners and spectators with a bib pinned to my chest. Our friend Laurie would also be running the 5K and I decided to run with her. The group of us chatted for a bit and got a group photo (with the portapotties in the background) before Laurie and I went towards the pacing area that would match our speed.

crowd before the 5K

When the race started, we still had a wait to get up to the start line, but since it was chip timed, we didn't mind. Interestingly the winning men would be coming across the finish line just as we started our race. It was cool to hear the cheers and get to applaud as they came racing in (first females too). Our route took us past some beautiful buildings, the elevation change pretty minor.

We were spotted by Phil somewhere in the vicinity of the first mile marker and then we saw the rest of the group. It is always great to see people you know! I also made a point of sprinting ahead and then turning around to get some photos of Laurie in the race.

The runners around us were cheerful. There was one man just singing and saying how much he loved everyone.

He definitely was speaking another language at times but I'm not sure where he was from (it might have been Portuguese).

The biggest elevation change came when we ran down under a road; there was cheering and high-fiving of runners on the other side during this part. I loved when we turned onto Boylston street and I could see the Blue Line leading us to the finish which was already set up in front of us. This was the one part where I was determined to get a picture of Laurie and I succeeded.

Our group saw us again somewhere in this stretch but soon we were in the last part of the race. I had hoped for us to run under a half hour and I knew we were close at this point, so I kept encouraging Laurie. She picked up the pace a little bit more at our final turn (even with some slower runners a little bit in the way) and it paid off. Her final time was just under thirty minutes. I don't know what my time was; my watch had me at 29:59.9 but I haven't actually looked myself up online.

I felt great afterwards; it had been a slow pace for me, but Laurie was also doing pretty well. We got our medals and then food and then waited at our chosen meet up point for the others to return from their spectating spots.

our starting area