Downtown Joe's in Napa

Napa Travel Blog

Buffalo Wings

On the flight out, one of the movies available was Bottle Shock.  Turns out this was a movie about the start of the Napa Valley wine boom in the 1970's..the 1976 blind wine tasting event in Paris where Napa wines won the blind taste against french vineyards.  A couple of scenes in the movie took place at a place called Joe's, which seemed like it would have been a fun place.

I had asked Erin about it...did it really exist?...and while not certain, she mentioned it may be this Downtown Joe's place in Napa.

On this evening, since the places we had in mind were not available, we were going to try a tapas place that we were told was located at Main and Second.  We got there.

Garlic Fries
..but didn't see the Tapas restaurant, but we did see Downtown Joe's!

We parked the car and walked over towards Joe's, picking up a stray homeless man on the way.  Now, normally, if you politely decline, it's over...but this gentleman followed us the whole way to Joe's...and then inside!  While he never bothered us, he wandered around the restaurant and bar for a while before being asked to leave. No problem there...though within 5 minutes when he was still out front he policy arrived and over the next 20 minutes, had a lengthy discussion followed by arresting him and taking him away.  Put a little bit of a sad tinge on the evening :-(

As this was my first time in the US since November, I was feeling a little homesick for some real American junk food...but wasn't overly hungry as we had been snacking on cheese and crackers throughout the tastings.  Erin and I decided to split some buffalo wings, garlic fries and a burger.  Turned out to be more than enough :-)  Really hit the spot as well!

As I was ok in the wine department for the day already...we decided to also go with a beer with dinner...Erin had the Tail Waggin' Amber Ale and I had the Golden Thistle Very Bitter Ale.  Also very good!

Now, it does appear that Downtown Joe's may not be the Joe's from the movie...but it was exactly what I was hoping for!

After dinner, back to the Beasley House for some needed rest before the coming day's tastings.

poohstanggt says:
Tail Waggin' Amber Ale baby! Yummy!
Posted on: Feb 01, 2009