EuropeItalyRome

The Colosseum Tour and a Highlight that Never Was

Rome Travel Blog

The Coloseum - day 2

I woke up quite early on the second day as there was still quite a bit of Rome I wanted to see.  I knew we were going to the Colosseum again today and hopefully do some kind of tour, so I wanted to see some of the gardens.  I walked up the Villa Borghese as I'd read quite a bit about this place pre-trip and wanted to go in, but unfortunately you need a pre-booking which I didn't have.  I didn't really have enough time to find out how to get one either so instead I spent the morning around the gardens just taking it easy.  It was a lovely day so this really wasn't a problem.

At 1:30pm I went to the hostel where Wayne and Steph were to check in and meet the guys.

The Coloseum - day 2
  We went straight to the Colosseum and took our time, sitting in the sun, enjoying a few beers.  We pulled ourselves together after a while and joined the queue for the Colosseum.  The inside is even more incredible that the outside.  It's a 12 Euro entrance fee, but that is well worth it!  Take your time in here and let your imagination wander.  I read quite a few of the macabre stories of the gladiator days and what criminals had to face by way of punishment.  The Romans used to kill off the criminals by re-creating scenes of various conquests such as their expansion into Egypt etc.  They actually imported plants, animals, even sand to recreate the scene as accurrately as possible!  This place really does have a unique history.
The Coloseum - day 2

After this visit, it was back to the Pantheon via the ruins (Sacra Argentina).  This time I wouldn't have to be as rushed due to the lack of daylight.  I think everyone was quite impressed with it's magnificance.

It started to get a little late and Roma were due to play AC Milan at the Stad Olimpico (Beckham was due to make his Serie A debut) and so we headed up to the Piazza Del Popolo to catch the tram and get some food.  Going up the Via Del Corso (Road) was a mission in itself, it was so populated!  We made though with some time to spare and caught a densely packed tram to the stadium.  I was getting pretty excited at this point.  The atmosphere was absolutely alive and we made it to the ground by following the crowd.

The Coloseum - day 2
  Frustratingly we couldn't find a tout anywhere >.<  Instead, I heard some guys talking and they were clearly English.  I asked them where we could get tickets and they had no idea, but they did say we should be able to get them as the game is not a sell out.  Now I was getting concerned.  I approached a steward to find out where the ticket office was and he told me it was back in town >.<  that was just what I didn't want to hear.  Wayne quickly called some of the guys who were in a taxi coming to the stadium.  They got the cab to go to the ticket office and we thought that would be it, all sorted.  Not a chance!  Clearly I was far too optimistic.  The guys couldn't all tickets as you need identity per ticket.  That was that for us, we had to pull the tail between the legs and head back into town and watch the game at a bar instead.  After a little walk around, we found quite a quirky place just off one of the back streets.  It was quite stylish, but it was showing the match, so that was fine.  We stayed there until after the game and played some scrabble.  Steph kicked our arses and that was the day done.  I wanted an earlyish night as I was really up for an early start the next day so I could see Vatican City in all it's glory.

Rome Hostels review
A Cheap but Funky and Friendly Hostel
This histel is located close to termini bus/train station. It is a cheap hostel with dorm beds. Each room has up to 6 people staying in them per ni… read entire review
Rome