More fun

Paris Travel Blog

We head over to La Defense. In the square there is a big area that has a Christmas Market. My favorite. We head there later to get food and some chocolate but first Grace has convinced me that we need to go to the top of La Defense. La Defense looks like a giant rectangle or square but with a hollow center. There is an elevator that goes up the middle to take you to the top. The elevator is glass so when you are rising up you can look out and see the view.

Now I am kinda afraid of heights. Or rather dies from falling from heights. This was not my favorite thing to do. I stood exactly in the center of the elevator and it rose and had a scary looking face the entire time. We get to the top and pretty much ignore the room with all the history and nonsense about la Defense. We've come here for the view and we are hading for it. You get outside and you can see for miles and miles. But hold your hat, its terribly windy. And the wind makes it oh so cold. But the view is terrific and you really just look out in awe. You can see the Sacre Coeur and the Eiffel Tower. We won't mention this to Grace but it was worth the harrowing elevator ride. ;)

The day is not complete until we go check out the Centre Pompidou. Thats the building that has all the pipes on the outside. Its filled with lots of modern conceptual artwork. One room has furry wall and inside it was just a piano. Another had little round plastic colored pieces that hung from string. This really is not the kind of artwork I'm thrilled about so Grace and I split up and I went downstairs and sat down. I was getting rather tired.

That night we headed to the Notre Dame. The place is so big and I am enthused that it is free admission. The air inside is so intense. The candles burn and there is a low roar of people whispering. There are people praying and other walking around in awe. It is amazing really. It is so tall and the stain glass windows are so beautiful. I am always so inspired when I am inside. To think that this was built so long ago and it stands the test of time. It is incredible.

photo by: Sweetski