Sick, British Library

London Travel Blog

Definintely sick from sleep deprivation and loneliness.  I thought sleeping pill would help me recover but made me feel  much worse, so decided to lounge around the hostel and do more much needed research.  Got robbed again...

In the afternoon, ended up going to the British Library which was just across the street.  Absolutely loved it, saw the original famous works/manuscripts, such as Beatles' Yesteryday song written on a paper napkin, one of Jane Austin's books, the works of Handel, Mozart and many others.  I am glad I listened to one of my roommate's (an elderly Jewish woman from Israel in transit) advice.  She was very interested in the temporary display of the paintings and artwork of some Indian sect which I have never heard of.. What do I know of Indian history?   It must have been very famous cuz there were quite a large number of visitors in that part of the Library.

Went out to Leicester to buy some tickets for musicals.  When  in London, heard one has to catch some shows.  The ones I wanted to see were all sold out or too expensive or not available on the days I wanted to see them.  So settled with Sound of Music for one night and Mama Mia , this I have been wanting to see, for another night.  Still feeling really oozy and not well, decided to come back to  the hostel early to do more research, now desperate,  and hit the sack early.  Had a wonderful dinner though.

Met another two roommates, one was from Japan and another from Wales.  The girl from Wales was very talkative, she was mainly on a business trip but was planning  to see a friend in London as well.   Finally some people whom I can talk to.... It is strange here, people just don't seem to talk to each other much, not even in the common room.  Is this the culture of London?  What is it?

free08 says:
U r right, it really depends on the environment and people around. I think being stressed out with my itinerary did not help the matter, but most of all, not well physicially made a real damper... Normally I am very friendly and talkative...
Posted on: Mar 09, 2009
wsquare says:
I guess it always depends on the environment and people around. What it takes sometimes is just a simple smile and a simple 'Hi' greetings, and travellers start chatting heartily. Guess it didn't help much esp when you are sick and feeling low too.
Posted on: Mar 09, 2009