Killarney National Park, No Dingle

Killarney Travel Blog

It was not easy to find the hostel-Neptunes from the mall. Had to stop and ask a few times.  The most amazing thing was that I got 8 people room for myself the first night.  Excellent, finally a long overdue sleep...

Anyhow, I found Killarney  to be very delightful, very quaint and touristy.  Reminded me of  Carmel, California, no, more like Mendocino up in Northern California.  Had a very nice dinner at a Chinese place on the first night, it has been a while since I had Chinese.  Was it good or what!  Then went to a market, the very first one in Europe, to buy some groceries like a true backpacker.

After breakfast, made too much, totally stuffed myself,  went out to explore the much talked about Killarney National Park.  To make a long story short, did alot of detouring  and walked tons.... I don't think I ever walked this much in my entire life in one day.  But enjoyed almost every minute of it, I was enamoured by the beauty presented in this park.  I loved the site Muckcross House sat at, it was breathtakingly beautiful.  I just wanted to sit there and stare.  O f course, I took tons of pictures, unfortunately  lost both of my memory cards at the end of my European trip, so have no photos to share with u.  Isn't this sad or what?

Did not really see solo travelers in this park, but got to see tour buses of "older" people.

Anyhow, had a great fun getting acquainted with my rommies, 2 Czechs and  2 Jews-they were the best, and 2 quiet Germans, and one more, can't recall.  This was just great, learning of their cultures.   Traveling indeed opens up one's eyes in more than one way.

On my second day, I signed up to go to Dingle, but then because they had some football game something equivalent of Superbowl in USA that this tour ended up cancelling, everyone basically wanted to stay home or go to bar to watch the game.  So had to take my next choice, Ring of Kerry, I believe.  The bus was full of retirees/couples from America and some other tourist from other parts of Europe.  Even though it did not quiet meet my expectations as far as the scenary was concerned,  I found the driver to be very humorous and very charming.  At times, it was hard to understand, overall, it was good.  One thing that stood out was when we stopped somewhere worth stopping for, the driver was holding a whisky bottle and cups.  I thought initially, here in Ireland, tour bus drivers can actually drink and drive?  lol.... lo and behold, he was passing out cups of whiskeys to all the passengers... I guess this  happens only in Ireland.  Anyhow, our tour was even caught short because of the game, the driver wanted to get to the bar early enough not to miss anything.  hahaha!!!!!

Eric says:
I really liked Killarney too -- probably one of my favorite towns in Ireland. Also stayed at Hostel Neptunes, agree that it is a bit hard to find!
Posted on: Mar 09, 2009