Free Tour of London

London Travel Blog

YHA St. Pancreas Hostel's breakfast is just awesome.  They serve hot-beans, toast, eggs, sausages or bacons, some type of potatoes, coffee, tea, and cocoa, and cold-cereal, yogurt, juice, cheese, sliced meat, juice, and frutis.  With this I got away with two meals a day.  Sometimes, I packed a little sandwich and yogurt  as a snack and was good for the whole day.

Didn't have a good night sleep, but decided to go out anyway, discovered a free tour on the old  London, close to the Tower of London. The guide was a Wales/French girl who studied history in college, very funny and very knowledgeable.  The tour lasted a good 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours covered the history of Tower of London, London Bridge, Millennium Bridge, St. Paul's Cathedral, Tower Bridge, Thames River, Tower Bridge,Tate Modern, City Hall, the Fiancial District,  and the oldest bar in London-can't recall the name (not necessarily in this order). With this tour, we got a bathroom and lunch break, first time in my life having to pay to use a toilet- first of many to come. Noticed sink in the bathroom is so small in comparison to the ones at home.  Anyhow,  after the tour, came back to the Tower of London for more detailed tour.  There I got to witness changing guard which was a bonus.  I started out with a Yeoman Warder tour which is included in the price of admission(not cheap) and found it to be very entertaining, but because it did not cover the whole ground, rented audio gear to fill in the gap.  After that went over to Thames River, they were having some type of festival, people were everywhere, music was loud, food was  abudantly available.  Went into Tates Modern although not particularly interested in modern art but because of what the free tour guide said, that it was a waste of time.  Yep, proved to be right.  Went over to the Tower Bridge too, the one many think is the London Bridge.  It was one productive day.

Came back to the hostel, felt the pressure of needing to plan my next move so got on the computer to do some research.  Here was where they robbed me.  It was like 5 Euro for one hour of internet usage.  I've thought this was a bit excess.  Ended up spending much money since I did not plan anything for my 28 days in Europe, a big mistake.

I did not enjoy staying in this hostel much even though  breakfast was incredible, staff was not friendly nor helpful, and the people were just not open to one another, and the rooms were very poorly lighted which one can really hadly see anything.  The positives of this hostel were awesome breakfast, great location, clean and upto date facility, and nightlight.  I think it is a bit expensive too...

Anyhow, I was beginning to feel homesick, really homesick-and physically get sick with sleep deprivation, almost wanting to go home.

photo by: ulysses