A full weekend for a friend

Jakarta Travel Blog

Thai dinner with Yanti

This weekend was mainly devoted to Liz. It was one of her last weekends in Indonesia, and her first full weekend. We got up late on Saturday and decided to hit the nearest salon, the location of which we found out from her apartment cleaner through my slightly improving Bahasa and high confidence level haha.

Sometimes looking very Indonesian doesn't help me. This was one of those days. Liz got 2 people working on her hands and feet and since I only opted for a pedicure just had one person working on me. She was definitely a newbie. It was the longest pedicure I ever had. Liz had all her stuff done with the whole she-bang and she still had to wait for me for 30 min before my simple pedicure got done. It made me feel like I had frodo-like feet!!! How hard could it be to clean them?!

We decided to taxi over to Kemang after the pampering and got disoriented with the new route the driver took and ended up in Warung Pasta, a recommended resto to Liz.

This allowed us to enjoy discovering the other side of Kemang which we got too tired to look at last Monday night.

I invited Liz to a dinner with Yanti at Chito's, which had a bit of a slow start but ended pretty well with coffee at JCO's, it was fast becoming Liz' favorite shop thanks to me.

Sunday plans took a lot of input from people and Lonely planet and we finally decided on a trip to Taman Mini, the only day trip that we both agreed on. I started off my day first with trying out the English church service this time at Pondok Indah and loved the community's bond and warm welcome, I have decided to attend here again.

The whole weekend was raining most of the time but we pushed our luck and took the metro mini and angkot that Yanti instructed us on with the help of a security guard and a few strangers.

Taman mini was about an hour from Selatan. I was struggling with my few Bahasa lines but it definitely got us there and back. Liz would always have me take the lead, stating that orientation was not her strength and I felt was also because she was really getting tired of the obvious attention being given to her as a 'bule' (foreigner).

The Taman Mini complex is huge. We took about 4 hours just breezing through most of it. The setup was very confusing. The maps did not help as few of them would indicate where our exact location was. They apparently ran out of free maps at the entrance. The ojek race was what first got our attention but I did not find that exciting at all. We then did our own tour of the place.

Mascots welcomed us and the look on Liz' face as they saw her and apparently aimed to go to her even if she tried to avoid them was classic.

Indonesian wedding outfits
It was harassing though to be asked for money automatically after they pushed us to get a camera shot with them. Ugh well, that's life.

They had lots of traditional Indonesian houses for each location. Some would have mannequins sporting traditional wedding outfits, and everyday items.  It could have been better though as most would not have proper labels and again we did not know where to go to first. All the houses were around a man made park. There were cable cars flying overhead and there were train tracks on the road and an overhead train as well, they kind of destroyed the serenity of the traditional design. There were also huge planes here and there which we could not understand the purpose of.

I did start to get interested in a museum that we had to pay 1500 IDR for.

The entrance had a huge ship and wooden bridges to cross going to the museum which was a fort-like building. Going around the bare ground floor we were starting to throw a fit if there were any other exhibits, discovering that the 2nd floor was where several dioramas of Indonesia's war history were housed. It also boasted of mannequins with traditional war outfits, one barely having anything on, talk about minimal clothing.

Lunch was CFC, and yes, it is a mimicry of KFC but the food and price were not bad at all. We were also stopped twice by students who were so excited and almost hyperventilating as they interviewed bule Liz. It was an entertaining sight to watch. The teenagers reading their English questions either from the palm of their hands or a piece of paper, after which they'd have pictures taken.

Finally! a man made park
The first group was polite enough to include me after finding out I was not an Indonesian but the 2nd group seemed more forward as they gave me their cameras for me to take Liz picture with them, how convenient.

After several stops around the park, peeks at the other places we did not feel like going in, and views of traditional houses with Indonesians currently using it for various activities, we decided to head home left unsatisfied.

Going home turned out to be another adventure, as it was not as simple as crossing to the opposite side of where we got off since we had no idea this time of what angkot and metro mini signage to watch out for. Helpful phrases still turned out to be lacking. An angkot driver who seemed fishy decided his route was gonna pass where we wanted to get off.

Payback time
In the end we went around in circles a bit, crossed a very busy intersection, and took a bus to Blok M, as the locals all seemed to just be showing off their broken english to Liz which was irritating both of us. The metro mini of course took forever to load.

Using Liz memory of landmarks near her area, we got off at a familiar stop and took a badjai to home. All the effort to take public transport did save us a lot of money. Both of us felt horribly dirty though with the drastic change in weather as we went around Taman mini.

Dinner with Hellen turned out to be a pleasant mini meet up with other Couchsurfers with a meal at Grand Indonesia mall and coffee at the 24 hour Starbucks nearby. With the rain deciding not to abate we headed off for home close to midnight. A bit of a draining day indeed.

misericordia says:
Friend! Glad you're having fun! Say hi to Liz! =)
Posted on: Feb 06, 2009
We love JCO now.
We love JCO now.
Taman Mini!
Taman Mini!
Waiting a bit to watch the ojek ra…
Waiting a bit to watch the ojek r…
No escaping being an attractive bu…
No escaping being an attractive b…
I can hear Liz oh gosh