Now

Jakarta Travel Blog

What has happened to me in the past 4.5 months here in Jakarta?:

1. Nothing was as I expected. Got a job in a language school that teaches short courses, with different age groups (mostly adults), on various English subjects, around different places in the metro. This versus my original plan of teaching kids in an international school.

Now I teach half the time and develop teaching materials half the time in a non-airconditioned, house office, bare foot! Talk about a laid back expat boss.

Also because of this, I am enduring a tougher travel routine around the city using public transport to get to the places I need to teach.

2.  Surviving on half of my previous substantial income from my last job in the Philippines and humbly accepting blessings from friends 2/3 of the time.

3. Having a tight support group of believers who have empowered me to remain righteous amidst adversities.

3. I am now patiently waiting for an opportunity to serve in the English church worship ministry as opposed to my being active previously. God has been gracious though in giving me other ways to serve in both the English and Filipino services.

4. Bonding with so many people here and exits to Singapore, tourists, expats, and locals. Enjoying the never ending meetups, gatherings and social activities with them.

5. Experiencing the culture of the country by taking shoestring trips.

6. Feeling, learning, and empathizing with people despite the language barrier.

7. Last but not the least, learning the art of love and relationships, and letting go to love God above all.

Whilst all my financial business seems to get more and more messed up at home, and independent life continues to stretch me, I am greatly appreciating the lesson of 'joy is in the journeying, not at the journey's end'.

I now:

1. Live in a cozy 3x4 room with a very nice evening view right smack in the center of the metropolis with middle class office workers next door.

2. Have 6 pairs of shoes! 5 of which I bought here, the purple pumps are still alive and kicking.

3. Have a suffice number of clothes to mix and match for at least 2 weeks.

4. Understand more of the local language which helps me deal better with my students and with locals of course.

5. Gotten used to and love the street food! I have lost the diarrhea episodes for quite sometime.

6. Now less and less afraid of attacks from what we do not see, both in sleep and as I walk around the streets of Jakarta.

7. Continuing to enjoy the good life through social activities, yet love how God is building my spiritual life by teaching me to trust in Him on all aspects.

8. Settled a bit with the work routine but enjoying the diversity of it.to more adventures!

blurbmoi says:
Thanks for the smiles and comments guys, hope life is good for everyone:o
Posted on: Jun 18, 2009
jennethm says:
yes, to more adventures! we will continue following your adventures with you blogs here, Nina. Lots of luck! Hope to see you soon :)
Posted on: Jun 15, 2009