Tokyo Travel Blog

Thoughts for today:

1. Having no language skills is the ultimate emasculation. Maybe its a pride thing, but I dislike the idea of gesticulating my way around a conversation, pointing stoically at plastic replicas in restaurants to order, muttering monosyllabic words to convenience store clerks while paying for drinks. One plane ride is all it took to reduce my communication skills from that of an adult to a mute.

2. Saw the war museum at Yasukuni Shrine. Inside, there was a restored Japanese Zero fighter from WWII, and a couple artillery cannons from the war as well. I have mixed feelings about seeing the weapons, b/c many American citizens undoubtedly died from those very weapons, or weapons very similar to them. To see them and then read the musem plaques extolling their military execellence is an interesting catch 22.

3. Everyone on the metros seems to like to pass out unreservedly on the metro. Grown men and women in full business attire will conk out without shame. I saw one women who literally had fallen asleep with her cell phone open in her hand, no doubt midway through a SMS or something.

Today was a massive walking day. After checking out a few shrines, I ended up walking from Shibuya to Akasaka, then Akasaka to Roppongi. My legs kill now.

lisa says:
hey kevin! i didn't know you were in tokyo! my second hometown! my family lives in the shibuya/aoyama area, in a city called hiroo. i'm enjoying your blog! let me know if you need any tips or recommendations! i hope you have a great time!
Posted on: Mar 21, 2007