Meeting friends

Canada Travel Blog

Jasmyn and me

In 2001 my dad met some canadian folks in Holland and spent some time with them. They told him well 'jack' if you ever come in Canada your welcome at our house.
The same your in Oktober 2001, me and my dad flew with KLM to Ontario Canada to meet up with, Steve, Paul and there wives and family. We had a great time over there it was our first visit to this amazing country. The years that followed my dad went back a couple of times to meet up with them. Twices in these year there daugthers visited me and jasmyn in the Netherlands and we spent some time with them including a trip too Berlin and London. The girls Morgann and Autumn are great and fun to hang around with.

In the summer of 2006, me Jasmyn and Rene a friend of ours went back to there home in Lanark, Ontario. Lanark is a smalle town near Perth (also not that big!!).

Landing in Quebec
Perth is a good 45 drive to the main capital of Canada,  Ottowa. The 3 of us stayed at Steves Rymal Family in Lanark. The minute you walk in you feel like home. There selfbuild house is build on a 200 acres property. If you think that lookes nice, see it in the Winter!! Beautiful. Steve works as a teacher in Perth and his wife Liz in the Perth Hospital. There 2 daughters Autumn and Morgann still study in School.
We had a lot of activities while with our friends, we went quad driving in the woods, visited the 1000 island lake near Kingston and went camping at crotch lake, wich was great. We were the only ones on the island.

Lake Description:
Crotch Lake, in the Land O' Lakes region of Eastern Ontario, is a huge lake with numerous areas of structure that equate to excellent walleye, northern pike and smallmouth bass fishing.

Morgann and me
Surrounded by Crown Land and narry a cottage to be seen on it, fishing on this lake is just like fishing on a private lake. There is not a lot of boat traffic, and there is always another cove or bay to hide in if you don't like sharing your fishing space.

At the 1000 island lake in the heart of it we visited Bold castle. Boldt Castle was built at the turn of the century by multi-millionaire George C. Boldt for his wife, Louise, as a testimony of the unsurpassed love of a man for his wife. Strange part of it, is that wehen you visit the castle is on US grounds, so you have to pas customs before entering the castle. The first level of the Castle has been turned into a museum, filled with exhibits dedicated to the lives of George and Louise Boldt and the development of the Thousand Island region.

On our way to Crotch lake

The trip by boat on the 1000 island lake is stunning, you see soooo many beautiful houses at the lake wich are worth milliones of dollars.
There are actually over 1,800 islands (1,864 to be exact) that make up the 1000 Islands region. To become an official part of the count, an island must meet two criteria: it must be above water 365 days a year and it must support two living trees. Ferries or bridges provide access to Wellesley, Hill, Wolfe and Howe Islands.

At the and of our trip Steve took us down to Niagra falls, wich i allready seen, but jasmyn and rene didn't. The falls are very beautifu; to bad al the tourist stuff around it, it makes it fake, the falls should be in the middle of nature, but never the less there nice to watch.

Jasmyn at trainstation Paris Charles de gaulle

From niagra we drove to buffelo airport were we sad goodbye to steve and pick up our rental car, a chevy trailblazer, almost brandnew. From here we drove down south into New York State, were we visited Orange County Choppers (see review). Next stop was New York city. That was fun driving on 5th ave, so many people and traffic you really have to watch out you don't wreck you rental car just before leaving it at the rental station (42st). But we managed to bring it back in one peace. In New York we booked a hostel, wich was good for 2 nights but not longer (see review). In New York we visited: Central park, Meatpacking district, times square, Ground zero, Intriped War museum and some other stuff.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is one of America’s leading historic, cultural and educational institutions.
House on the lake
  Opened in 1982, the Museum has welcomed more than 10 million visitors.  The Museum is centered on the aircraft carrier Intrepid, one of the most successful ships in US history, and now a national historic landmark and one of the most unique attractions in New York City.

We also had  a couple of hours with Dan, he is from an organization called 'new york apple greeters'a group of vollunteers who like to show you there city. It was very nice, you can apply for a meeting on there website. We visited the meatpacking district with them. After only 2 days we unfortunately allready left New York and flew back home. It was a trip never to forget!!!

On our way to Crotch lake
Jasmyn at trainstation Paris Charl…
Jasmyn at trainstation Paris Char…
House on the lake
Jasmyn, Rene me and our friend Ste…
Jasmyn, Rene me and our friend St…
Yep my favorite store!!!
Hamburgers on the BBQ
Hamburgers on the BBQ
Some deer sculls
Some deer sculls
This will become our campfire!!
This will become our campfire!!
1,427 km (887 miles) traveled