On The Road Again

Bao Loc Travel Blog

An early morning start saw us (or rather, me) hurriedly stuffing my small backpack with my belongings to hastily check out of our basic accomodation.  But however eager I was to get out of our previous nights' accomodation, I didn't feel I had much more to look forward to at our next nights' accomodation as it was going to cost us $10 USD a night (even cheaper!).  So - I figured that I shouldn't get my hopes up too much - low expectations means I won't get too disappointed - I like to rely heavily on the under-promise, over-deliver methodology.

This morning we had to get back on the dodgy dinghy to go back across the yellow ochre river back to where the motorbikes were so we could continue onwards to Dambri falls and onto Bao Loc for the evening.

Our safari truck!
  It started to rain slightly so on came the wet weather gear and the oh so attractive ponchos.  The roads weren't too bad on the bikes, but I was a little apprehensive thinking that this would be create even more dangerous conditions for us to be motor biking.  Luckily VB and I had no mishaps - apart from myself managing to fall off the bike before even getting on the bike properly.  Quite amusing for others - I am hoping to be able to master the art of gracefully getting onto a motorbike without any embarrassing falls......

We stopped several times throughout the countryside and marvelled at the sights (like the young schoolgirls riding their bikes to school in their long white flowing uniforms which are the traditional clothing) that seemed to be familiar from the pages of books or shots on tv.

We also were en route to Elephant Falls which I was really looking forward to (I'm a big fan of waterfalls).  We stopped to have coffee (which was very strong but extremely fragrant and accompanied with condensed milk) which we were by now finding was quite the norm in Vietnam.

We first stopped off at a what seemed to be a touristy type of park with manicured gardens and a several types of animals - almost like a small zoo.  This was kind of random and seemed to just be in the middle of nowhere which was a little odd.  Next we visited a silk farm where we saw the silk worms live and spinning their silk in their coccoons - we saw the dyes being prepared and how the silk is pretty much boiled to form the threads which are then woven into complete silk fabrics.

Quite intriguing.  We stopped at a tea plantation to see several different types of tea and how this was harvested.  And then we were onwards towards our accomodation for the evening in Dalat.  It was still raining lightly so it was a bit yuk riding through the rain, but thankfully it wasn't too horrible.

We arrived at our accomodation which was surprisingly far more luxurious than our previous evening's lodging in the national park.  I was actually so excited that the bed, room, and shower were soooooooooo much nicer than my last experience - so much for Adventure Gin!  And all for the bargain basement price of $10USD per night!  Thankfully, we felt much more comfortable in our accomodation tonight.

We went out for a meal and managed to find some dinner and grab a coffee at what seemed to be a popular local hangout.  We were chilling out on the balcony enjoying our coffee and talking about our day, when we saw an awful motorbike accident happen right below us on the road.  It was very frightening for us to see it happen in front of us, and we appreciate the very strong and strict safety rules for helmets, road rules etc back home - it seemed to be so lax here, but we understand that this is how things are in VNM.  Thankfully we weren't far from our hotel, so we wandered back feeling a little less adventurous than before, but thankful that we were enjoying our trip and travelling safely together.

VB and I noted that in the less touristy areas, the public safety at tourist sites was pretty much non-existent.  Safety fencing, carved out steps/paths etc were replaced instead by very old and frail looking "caution" signs and thankfully we were being escorted by Hung and Lam to assist us down the very steep, muddy and slippery face of the mountain to get to a perfect vantage point to hear and feel the rush of Dambri falls.  We did pass a couple of other foreign tourists who must have unfortunately fallen on their way down to the rocks edge as their pants were covered in yellow/tan dirt which looked pretty gross.  Luckily, VB and I managed to clamber down the rocks without incident and we did feel that it was worth the hasty trek down the slippery rocks.

Our safari truck!
Wet weather gear - here we come!
Wet weather gear - here we come!
Datanla Falls