Back in Bayern/ Bavaria and Am Ammersee area

Bavaria Travel Blog

My return to Frankfurt this year is purely private and I look forward to not having to tour in the cold winter, although I must say Garmisch is one place that always spoke to me and I will be visiting that area of Bayern. I arrived absolutely jetlag free after a night flight in which I received an upgrade to business class because the airline had messed up my booking out of Milwaukee. I loved it because I could sleep comfortably. I arrived at 1:45 pm in Frankfurt. Frankfurt is the largest city in Germany with a population of a little over two million people. It is also the town where Americans formerly occupied Germany with their army base stationed at Manheim. What is left of that organization has moved out of Frankfurt to a different location.

When I lived in Germany a few years back, I knew Frankfurt to be one of Europe’s dominant trade fair towns: The economy strongly depends on trade fairs among other things like transportation and finance. I worked then in the tourism industry attending many tradeshows including tourisms largest trade show popularly referred to as ITB Messe in Berlin. Our Frankfurt office dealt with trade fair stand constructions and tourism marketing for international destinations. For three consecutive years I attended the largest automobile trade show called the Ausstellung: it drew millions from all over Europe and elsewhere. In 1998 I attended the book fair - Frankfurter Buchmesse and could not decide which was more popular: the Automobile or Book fair. Looking back now, I can say the two probably are equally popular.

The average weather since I arrived has been about 32 degrees Fahrenheit with a 6 mile wind factor making it incredibly chilling in the bones. I do not particularly like cold weather but I had to see a friend who I owed a dance many years ago. Did I mention I love dancing? Well I do. I promised my friend I would not publish photos of her online, she is a very private person and her husband is even more private. They got me two extra coats because I had not “dressed for the weather”  they said.

Bavaria