The HAND of GOD in Boca

Recalde Travel Blog

a sneaky shot of the impersonator:)

Having Irish roomies on both sides means that you WILL wear green on St. Paddy's regardless if it is an undergarment or not! :) The celebrations began upon waking up, and lasted until the next morning! A sea of green roamed the streets as the Irish celebrated their rugby win and anyone who brought them Guiness!

I traveled with another hostelmate to Recoleta where there is a fabulous market on Saturdays. If you are looking for jewelry, art, leather, or mate containers, this is the place to go! We both paid 20 pesos for a package deal: mate container, bombilla, mate, more mate, the history of mate, etc. Look around the area before you buy mate, for there is always someone who will sell you some for cheaper! Bargaining is the way to go! Walking is also the way to go in Buenos Aires.

Bringing back a little Cuban soul
Pretty much, you can walk anywhere.. especially from the hostel where I stayed. Recoleta, Palermo, San Telmo, Puerto Madero.. all are within walking distance. The subway (SUBTE) is also an excellent way to travel. It is 70 pesos for a trip!

We also headed off to Boca to see the tango dancers we had heard so much about. They were on SIESTA when we arrived, but they came out in full force 30 minutes after arriving. I'd never seen such grace and beauty in a dance before... I can only dream of dancing like that!! A Maradona impersonator roams Boca as well, seeking tourists to take pictures with him... showing his hand and telling of how it was "the hand of God" that won the game. It was quite funny watching an Englishman look at him in disdain:)

I was warned several times NOT to stray out of the main tourist drag, which is two main streets in Boca. Several people at the hostel had things stolen upon leaving the area and there were countless people who knew of others. So, stay on the main street.. Camioneta, and you'll be fine. If you want a taxi, make sure that you beat the guys, who are wearing these neon shirts, to the taxi otherwise they'll be expecting a tip for tracking the taxi down for you:)

Isoinspira says:
Lol!! I loved this section of town as well. I just couldn't get enough of it! The cuban guys were letting it all hang out! I almost ran right out there with them!
Posted on: Mar 31, 2007
fredbobsurfing says:
I loved this part of town it was utterly awesome, and the cuban soul train were drumming up a storm, bring back the HaPPY PANTS
Posted on: Mar 31, 2007
FUBOL... murals and all
FUBOL... murals and all
my hero!
my hero!
street dancing takes on a new mean…
street dancing takes on a new mea…
gorgeous!