Alguien esta esperandome?

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

After 9.5 hours, my flight touched down in Buenos Aires!!! My long-awaited arrival:) My hostel offered a shuttle pick-up, and it was confirmed hours before I left for Chicago. I wondered, however, if people would be waiting or if I would need to find other transportation to my hostel. As I exited the main area of the airport, I saw a hundred signs being held up with people's names on them. Would I ever been able to find my name in the midst of hundreds? All of the sudden, I noticed a man in the very back holding up a sign with my name! :) After meeting him, he took my rather heavy backpack from me and we journeyed on to the shuttle... which meant that during this time I was trying extremely hard to decipher what exactly he was saying:) It's rather difficult to transition to the Argentinian castellano where the double l's are given a SH sound or a J sound.

My cabbie was a friendly chap who, upon finding that I speak Spanish, became animated and started giving me a historical tour of the city as well as his own take on Argentina and its landmarks. For those of you who desire to know WHY streets have certain names, he would be the one to ask:) I had heard about Avenida 9 de Julio, however, it wasn't until I actually experienced driving down a 16 lane street that I understood and wished that we had more avenidas like this in the States! Imagine how fast traffic would fly!

We arrived at my hostel at around midnight, and I met my fabulous roomies who invited me up to the amazing terrace at the top of the 4th floor. Pretty much everyone congregates up there as there is internet access, a pool table, as well as an open bar open until 3AM. Some of us practiced circuit training as we looked over the people at the hostel and made plans until the wee hours of the morning for the next day.

cncntn44 says:
Hey I am about to leave to Argentina in July to live there for a semester. Any tips or advice that you have I would much appreciate!
Posted on: Jun 17, 2007