Great getaway

Cuba Travel Blog

Decided at the spur of the moment to head for some sun and surf. After looking at available places, I decided to return to Cuba for my 3rd visit but didn't want to do Varadero again. So, I chose Cayo Santa Maria. A much quieter place with beautiful people, beaches and sights. As it's located in a rather isolated area, there really isn't much to do other than relax unless you take some of the available excursions to Havana or catamaran trips for snorkelling off some of the islands.
I went alone which was good but got lonely at times especially in the evenings. I found the food in the buffets not too good but that is pretty standard for Cuba. The ala carte restaurants were very nice and made up for the buffets. Unfortunately, there was a severe shortage of fruit available but the seafood and desserts were great.
I found as a single woman travelling alone, that there was a tendency to be ignored by waiters (maybe thinking I was waiting for someone) and I had to really put out an effort to be served. The resort was very nice. A five star that has the absolutely most wonderful landscaping. Workers that were out there every day all day working to make the grounds as attractive as possible and succeeded. Friendly staff, clean rooms and beaches and all round superb. The resort visitors were made up mostly of French Canadian who I am embarrassed to say are not the friendliest people in the world. I was quite disappointed to find that fellow Canadians could be that unapproachable and sometimes rude. Just a shout out to those who need to look up in the future and notice others. I know I don't speak for ALL French Canadians but hope to have better experiences in the future. The 49km bus ride from Santa Clara airport took about 50 minutes. I would have liked to have seen the city of Santa Clara, however, there were no trips available for this. I would think that you could rent a car at the resort and do your own trip which would be great. That's about 2 hours from the resort.
Loved everything except the non-communication of fellow visitors and will definitely recommend this place to others.