Scent of Termites and Rainy Departure

Roxas Travel Blog

The Rotonda
My friend and I arrived at Roxas City quite late where all the businesses in that town were already closed. We have not made any hotel bookings wishing that there would be an affordable room for us there. My friend who were seated next to a very nice lady who apparently is a local of Roxas befriended her. She helped us look for a place to stay in. We first visited a place, a quite scary place downtown, they offered a dorm type accommodation. We turned down the place since the place looked really scary bordering to being sleazy. Our "angel" might have gotten our sentiments of that place with our quite obvious facial reactions. She then brought us to another hotel near the town plaza and the church.
Immaculate Conception Metropolitan Cathedral
It was on our second hop that we decided to stay in a old hotel by the river and very near the church. It was really an old hotel, it smelled like on. As we settled in our 2 single bed room, that's the time when we realized that we were hungry.

We ended up in McGenie's, a 24 hour food joint just across the river in front of the church. They served decent food there, I had hototay soup and pork chop for my late dinner. After eating, we walked back to the hotel, passing the rotonda with fountain, it looks nice at night actually. Then there was a gazebo, the blue church and some other government offices. Since my friend was a very silent person, it looked like I walked alone while he was busy taking photos of the place with his mobile phone.

We went back to a rather dark hotel, with a very dim lobby and the corridors smelled of termites.
Capiz Provincial Capitol
This was indeed an old hotel. I was not able to get the history of the hotel but by the look of it, it might have survived several typhoons, occupations and more important, pleasant events. We asked the "boy" if there's anyone occupying the adjacent rooms, he said "None". As we settled to sleep, we heard heavy footsteps coming from the next room. That was not something I wished not to hear in that kind of place and at that time of night. Quite agitated (not scared hehehe), I somehow managed to get my much needed sleep then the battalion of tricycle (local tuktuks) started there normal business. It was so noisy that I totally missed my required hours of sleep.

Morning came for our free breakfast of egg and some local sausages, I woke up with raccoon eyes. My friend asked the assigned person at the lobby if someone occupied the room adjacent to us.
Old lady the door of the Cathedral.
She said "Yes". Hahahaha. But really, I can't help not to give in to my morbid imagination, Roxas City is after all known to be the center of aswang and mangkukulam (witches and shamans). I skipped my sleep over this ado. :-D

Ready to leave for Manila, we first went to explore the city center at daytime. The imposing blue Cathedral was really something. A good sight for just a good 5 minutes walk. I was just glad that we passed this city before going back to Manila because it means, I am not really thinking of going back there. One visit would be enough. Unless... :)

It was raining heavily in Roxas when we left. After 1 hour flight, I reached Manila in one piece. And I slept for two days after this trip.
Immaculate Conception Metropolitan…
The Corridor with wooden floor
The Corridor with wooden floor
Roxas Hotels & Accommodations review
Halaran Plaza Hotel
Halaran Hotel is located at the city center, next to the church and other government offices. It is a two storey old building. Rooms are located at th… read entire review
Roxas