Endless Tricycle Rides and a Dementor

Kalibo Travel Blog

Atiatihan Masks sold for 100 pesos (2 USD) per piece
Arriving in Numancia (town next to Kalibo) where I made some fan room reservation was the most challenging thing to do. I inquired to all hotels (with online transactions) in Kalibo and they all marked up double their prices in time for Ati-atihan. It was just fair since they only get to earn during this season, however for a budget traveller like me, my guts could not take the fact that I have to pay that much for a standard room.

Anyway, I asked a friend who knows the place pretty well if hotel in Numancia was good enough. My friend knowing where Numancia is said okay. Unknown to us, the resort that we booked required us to take a very long tricycle ride on a very poor un-cemented road to Navitas area. And the ride rates were really ripped off.
The Sto Nino of Kalibo
It was like taking a taxi in Manila.

My friend was on his very unusual silent self (or usual silent self) and I knew he was blaming me for booking a hotel that was far from civilization! I was a bit agitated while on the tricycle and since we saw that there was no rides except that one we were on, we asked the driver to wait for us and bring us to Kalibo. Feeling guilty since my buddy was cranky already, we rushed to the room, drop our things and went to our ride. This condition plus the fact that we are late for our lunch and we were really hungry, both of us were on our downward spiral.

The ride to Kalibo was worst, the road was more rough. It was at the middle of the trip that I realized that I left my phone in our room.
Kalibo Cathedral
Damn! How could it be possible to contact my friend who was coming from Iloilo and supposedly join us in Kalibo. My phone was our only way to contact him. There was this rush of guilt for being so stupid. My positive thinking kicked off. I said to myself, Kalibo is small enough, chances of seeing my friend their would be high. So, we arrived at Kalibo seeing ocean of people rushing to the plaza were the street dancing was. Hungry and guilty, I pushed myself through the crowd. And once at the town center, my spirit went up hearing the beat and seeing the explosion of colors of the costume worn by the street dancers. We loosen up a bit, took pictures, momentarily forgetting our hunger, danced with the locals.

After getting enough feel of the beat of the town, we decided to have our lunch.
Participant in colorful costumes
At the plaza, there was a section with food stalls. They served normal Ilonggo food like inasal chicken (all part of chicken including my favorite: gizzard and liver!). I order for chicken breast, liver and gizzard. I wonder if the chicken that slammed and broke the windshield of the van was being served also. :)

I had the best lunch there, with different bands playing, it gave me the perfect sense of Kalibo: the beat, the color, the locals and the food. All my senses were satisfied. Adding the spirit of Red Horse to the picture, it was a perfect moment. So my friend's crankiness vanished into thin air, we went back to the streets to watch people dancing. Kids as young as 6 and the legendary folks (elders) as old as 70+ were joining the fun, dancing with no choreography to the beat of the festival.
Ladyboy Joining the Fiesta

Then came the dusk, the reality of not finding our "missing" friend can back to us. We made few rounds around the vicinity of the festival but after few minutes, we gave up. Tired and hungry again, we decided to just go back to the hotel. We needed to walk few kilometers just to find a tricycle who agreed to bring us back to the hotel for the price of 120 pesos. It was a good.... as so I thought. Turned out, the driver didn't know where our hotel is. He dropped us in Numancia town proper and has to get another ride to the hotel We paid more since we needed to hire another ride. Sucks bigtime.

Upon reaching the hotel, I was rushing to the room to find out if my "missing" friend was already there. Good thing, he was there. He didn't blame me for leaving my phone in the room, he never blamed me for costing him so much for his tricycle ride to the hotel. He was at instant smiling and laughing and in high spirits. I guess he was really on vacation. No nega star moments for him. We talked as if we have not seen each other ages ago, but I visited him in October in Cebu. I guess we got a wide range of database of stories to tell.

The three of us had not eaten dinner yet. So, we had our dinner of friend chicken at the resort and had few rounds of beer before going to sleep.

Tomorrow would be a bigger day, it would be the final day for the Ati-atihan. Hala bira! (rough translation: Get Going!)
planisphere says:
hahaha oo naman. pero mas maganda ka sa lahat. :) praning. ;)
Posted on: Jan 27, 2009
aoisoba says:
mas maganda ka dun sa ladyboy pa rin!
Posted on: Jan 27, 2009
Atiatihan Masks sold for 100 pesos…
Atiatihan Masks sold for 100 peso…
Atiatihan joined Obama-mania
Painted Faces
Painted Faces
Kalibo Hotels & Accommodations review
Dona Crispina Beach Resort
From their homepage: Welcome to Doña Crispina Beach Resort and Hotel ...for vacation, weekends, business meetings, social function or plain relax… read entire review
Kalibo