Slamming Hen and Windy Boracay

Boracay Travel Blog

Boracay After Sunset
I had always been wanting to experience Ati-atihan festival in Kalibo. This happens every third Sunday of January in honor of Sto Nino. Sounds religious? Nah!

I booked a flight from Manila to Roxas City, a 1.5 hours away by bus from Kalibo and 3 hours away from Caticlan. Why did I book there and not in Kalibo where the event would be celebrated or Caticlan where Boracay was nearer? It was really a question of budget versus time versus sanity. For me the most important thing was: Budget! This scheme is part of my continuous travelling even if I got no salt-mine thus has to depend everything on my savings.

Since Ati-atihan is being celebrated in Kalibo, I decided to check Boracay before partying with the Aklanons for their annual festival. I haven't not been to Boracay for about 5 years. With no hotel reservation and no itinerary on my mind, I just went there with no expectation or anything. I just want to do the most popular activity in Boracay - doing nothing! :)

A good friend of mine joined me to this trip.

Arriving on a van from Kalibo, we arrived at Caticlan pier where a short boat trip is needed to reach the Boracay port. This was not the case before. The pier was located at station 3 when I first came visit the place. From Boracay port, it was another tricycle ride to station 2 where we would be looking for a cheap room. My friend has been here a year ago so we would check the resort they checked in last year.
Willy's Rock At Sunrise
It was a short walk before we reach the hotel, the beachfront rooms were quite pricey so we agreed to take a room about 50 meters away from the beach. I just don't see the difference of getting a room next to the main thoroughfare where it could get very noisy at night or get a room quite far from the crowd but still close to the beach, bars and parties for lower price.

Happy with the room that we got and the sun was already setting, we took a walk around station 2 to 3. Getting the chilly wind of January, I got surprised to see people wearing sweater in Boracay. I would expect people to wear a lot less, but no. I myself was wearing a good warm shirt. Anyway, night time came and we needed to eat, we had dinner in a Hawaiian resto, had a fill there and then went for a couple of bottles of Red Horse in a bar formerly known as Bazura.
Morning at White Beach
An acoustic band was playing some decent music there and I actually like the vocalist. It was a pleasant night in Boracay I would say.

After a drink, we went back, tried to have a very good sleep. No but no, I am not accustomed to having to share a bed with some one. I thought a queen-size bed would be too big for the two of us, but no. I barely slept that night, I only managed to sleep when my friend left and look for a cup of coffee at 4 AM. I got up when he returned at 530 AM. I wanted to feel the sunrise so I decided to walk to the farthest point that I can reach that morning. Boracay was so beautiful that time because there was not much muggles to contaminate my pictures of the white sand and palm trees. Though it was still a gloomy day in Boracay that morning. I wanted more sunlight actually. Boracay and sun go side by side on my mind and not some chilly windy beach.
Sandcastle - Boracay's Icon
The best part of this walk was the taho. I love taho (a tofu drink). I love taho in the morning.

After my walk, I went back to our room, packed my belongings since we would be leaving to Kalibo at noon time. We grabbed some breakfast in Real Coffee and Tea where they are famous for their Calamansi muffin. I tried a pinch of it and I actually love it. The owner was too perky, not the usual happy for a morning like that, I hate happy people in the morning. From where I used to live (Manila and Singapore), people are not happy in the morning. She was too nice and bubbly and I was like yeah sleepyhead. One thing that she pointed out that I agreed was her disgust over the rapid commercialization of the island. Anyway, I love this breakfast place as much as I love the island despite of "over-modernization". I would definitely be back.
Sandcastle lit at Night

Before leaving, my friend wanted to buy some pearls in Puka beach. It was another long bumpy tricycle ride. Then another long tricycle ride back to the port for a bangka ride back to the mainland Panay. Another friend would be meeting us in Kalibo!

So, where's the hen in the story? :)

The poor mother hen flew from side of the road perpendicular to the direction of the kalibo bound van that we are on. I was seated next to the driver, I saw when the hen took off, when it slammed on the windshield, how it created pitiful noise before it became totally silent (argkkkk argkkk). I think the hen died, if not paralyzed. Oh why did the hen crossed the road?
monky says:
Congrats on your featured blog!:)
Meshal says:
Congrats on your featured blog! :)
cimtech says:
Congrats on your featured blog!
Willys Rock At Sunrise
Pearls at Puka Beach
Pearls at Puka Beach
Boracay Hotels & Accommodations review
La Fiesta Resort
Their Advertisement says: La Fiesta Resort Boracay is located at the famous white beach of Boracay Island in the Philippines. The resort is near D … read entire review
Boracay