Shanghai

Shanghai Travel Blog

Plane was on time from Taipei to Shanghai and everything went smooth. No problem with some kg’s extra and a smooth check-in. I arrived in Shanghai and figured out that this was my 5th time to Shanghai in 5 years. So yes, Shanghai is definitely on my list of favourite cities. One again I took the Maglev train which has a top speed of 430 km/h. This time I filmed the speedometer in the train from 0 to 430 and I will upload the video later. Taking taxi in Shanghai is normally smooth as long as you have the road names written in Chinese, so the first step was to find someone who could translate. I decided for a different hotel solution this time, and rented an apartment instead of ordinary hotel room. This has quickly become my favourite way of living in the big cities.

The rooms are big, and you feel almost like home. They also have a great laundry service and they charge per kg (not per item as most hotels). Deliver laundry in the morning and get the clothes back in the afternoon. Costs only 20 RMB (18 kr).

The 2 first days here I just relaxed, explored the metro system, and walked around in the city. It’s a big big city and it takes time to orient yourself here. The road signs are in English and Chinese, so reading maps are easy. You only have to figure out the direction. So a GPS map over Shanghai will be my next investment.

Yesterday I met Rudy’s family again for dinner. I had a great time with them as usual, and I finally was served Peking duck again. This time I told them in advance that I will pay the bill, but not a chance. I was also invited to Kira’s wedding. She just have to find a boyfriend first he he. Later that evening I also met Joe and his girlfriend. Joe is a bartender I met on my trip to Tibet/Shanghai 3 years ago and we have kept in touch since. His hospitality is beyond normal and he managed to serve me 5 gin/tonic and a couple of beers in just a few hours. So getting up today for going to Nanjing was hard... But here I am at Shanghai Railway station waiting for Joe and Tina. The city is located outside Shanghai, and the train ride is only 2 hours. They have made a great sightseeing plan and it’s actually nice to just join a well-planned program this time.

Shanghai