Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh Travel Blog

I was picked up at the airport by an old school friend whom I hadn’t seen for ages. At least 10 years must have passed since we saw each other the last time. He lives in Phnom Penh and works for Norsk Folkehjelp. Landmines are a big problem in Cambodia, and he works there as an advisor/consultant. I had my first weekend in Cambodia staying in their home, and we had plenty of time to catch up and talk about the “old days”. On Sunday I checked in to a hotel in the city and I planned to stay there for 3 nights. I wanted to see the S-21 prison and the Killing Fields. Especially the S-21 was a very special experience, and it makes you sad and angry walking around there. I also bought a book from one of the survivors of the Khmer Rouge era, and it's very interesting reading.

The killings happened in recent history and it makes it even more horrible to read about.

I already had some travel buddies who I planned to meet and one of them was Paula from USA. Her parents are Khmer and she had recently returned to her parents’ home country. Originally we agreed on meeting my last day in Phnom Penh, but we met on that Monday instead. We got along very well from the beginning and we had dinner and some drinks 3 days in a row. I actually extended my stay one day in Phnom Penh because of her and everything we had to talk about. Thank you Paula! You made my stay in Phnom Penh very special! On Thursday noon I sat on a bus, heading for Siem Reap. I’ve always wanted to see the Angkor Wat, and now the time had finally come….

Phnom Penh