Chiang Mai - Children Shelter Home

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

I finally arrived Chiang Mai and one of the highlights on my trip. The plan was to stay 3 weeks working as a teacher and volunteer.  The first 3 days I spent in a hotel setting up the 5 computers I brought from Norway in April. I friend of mine from Chiang Rai delivered the computers to the organization after my stay there in April. Setting up 5 computers takes some time but I also had the chance to catch up with my friends in the city as well. Great fun and a lot of whiskey as usual…

Later in the week I went to Joy’s House where I would stay for 3 weeks. My class consisted of 12 students from age 15-22. Many of them had never used a computer before, so I divided them into 3 groups based on their skills. I also bought a projector, web cameras and a printer at the local computer store.

I also bought stickers for the keyboards, making them Thai instead of Norwegian.

My students were very motivated and the joy of teaching them made me motivated as well. So I decided to cancel my plans for visiting Laos and stay 2 more weeks at the school instead. One of the best decisions I’ve made in my life I think. Every day was a filled with fun and also did various activities aside from the computer classes. Visiting the local swimming arena turned out to be one of the most popular activities they’ve ever done. We turned up at a sports store and I bought swimming equipment for all. Then we went to the swimming pool in the city. They all loved it and many of them are already better swimmers than before.

Apart from teaching computer stuff, I also spent my weekends at the “farm” outside Chiang Mai. The organization has a big area where around 37 children and adults live.

Most of them have no parents and 9 of the children are also deaf/mute. At the farm I have helped with a water project and constructing a 175.000 litre water tank. The money for this water tank came from donations I collected before I went on my trip. Thanks to all that contributed!!

I think I can write a whole book about my experiences here, so when I retire I guess I have time to do so. I’ve had 5 of the best weeks in my life here and I have to address a special thank you to every one living there – young to old. I will definitely come back for more teaching and fun! My last evening there was a very special farewell dinner with 80 guests and the students had a lot of surprises for me. I’m just speechless and thankful their hospitality and dedication to what they do.

Now I’m at the airport in Bangkok. I have lost track of how many times I’ve been here. I will soon board for Phnom Penh in Cambodia. 10 exciting days are waiting before I go back to Bangkok and finally Oslo on July 4.

Enjoy the pictures!

Here is the link to the organization I’ve worked for:

Children Shelter Foundation :