Day 4

Nimbin Travel Blog

Day 4 – Nimbin & 28th Birthday

Lay in bed and opened my birthday cards in the morning before packing up. Checked out but left the car in the hostel and headed out for breakfast. Went to The Balcony restaurant right in the centre of town and sat upstairs. The place looks like an old pub but has been restored into an arty restaurant, it’s quite rustic with old couches and dining furniture in different colours amongst the wooden walls and floors. There is a lot of artwork around from paintings to sculptures and dainty ornaments. I thought the place was very homely and the food was great, I had eggs Benedict and a latte.

Took a short stroll along the beach and watched the surfers for a bit before returning to the car and heading inland towards Nimbin.

Nimbin main street

The country in this area is quite hilly and there is at least one old extinct volcano crater in the vicinity so the scenery is quite spectacular in places. It kind of reminded me of the area around Glastonbury without the Gum trees!

Nimbin, a place I had heard a lot about and always wanted to go to, is a tiny New South Wales town in the middle of no where. It is most famous for having a very tolerant attitude towards marijuana. For this reason it is quite obviously full of hippies and alternative people, it has a museum which we visited, and lots of shops dedicated to pot, pot smoking and pot memorabilia as well as art and craft and souvenir shops and cafes. The shop signs and walls around the main street were very colourful and made the town itself feel like a bit of an artwork. We were asked if we wanted to buy cookies and weed on numerous occasions and I would have but we were both hung-over that morning, so we went to Nimbin and never got stoned….

Nimbin main street
some would say that was a crime!

After Nimbin we headed back through Murwillimba to the coast. Got onto the coast at Tweed Heads and stopped to take photos of Surfers from across the water at Tweed and Coolangatta. Went the coast road and went through streets of flash apartments and old beach houses sitting million dollar sections.

Parked the car and went to the Oasis Mall for lunch but Dave was not impressed went over to Pacific Fair instead. This has always been my favourite mall on the coast and it is absolutely huge, I don’t know how many times I have been lost in there but as I get older it seems to be getting smaller! Had lunch upstairs in the food court.

Left the gold Coast and headed back up to Brisbane, went to take the car back but realised we need to fill it up with petrol and the Tom Tom directed us to a garage miles away so by the time we got back the there rental place Dad was already there waiting.

Surfers Paradise from Tweed Heads

When we got home I realised I had lost my mobile phone when transferring all our gear from the rental car to Dad’s car. Phoned the rental car place and searched the ute and the house to no avail. Got ready to go out for dinner and Dad insisted we return to the car rental to see if it was on the grass. While there Kymme rang it and the rental car guy picked it up so they had found it in the car after all, thank god!! I was teased about it all night though by Kymme & Richard!

Dad took us all to Sizzler in Toombul. I had never been to Sizzler before and could compare it to Valentines back in Dunedin. You order your main course (they specialize in Steak) and then get as much as you can eat of vegetables, sides and puddings. I had Barramundi as a main with salad, a great meal after eating and drinking so much crap for days!

Returned to the house for a much needed early night.

139 km (86 miles) traveled