Day 3

Surfers Paradise Travel Blog

Surfers Paradise from Australia's tallest building

Day 3 Surfers Paradise & Byron Bay

Got up and felt a bit rough, watched Apocalypto while waiting for everyone to get ready and Dave went and got the rental car Dad had paid for as a birthday gift.

Dropped Sarah off at the Domestic airport for her flight to Airlie Beach and said our goodbyes before Dave and I continued down the Pacific Motorway to the Gold Coast.

Took some photos looking South to Surfers then parked up in Surfers near the Illuka hotel. Strolled around Cavill Mall and the Paradise Centre where I bought some Annette’s for $156.

Australia's tallest building

Had lunch in a restaurant in Cavill Mall, and both had a club sandwich which was fantastic followed by a latte. Dave left a $10.00 tip for a yummy lunch and great service.

Surfers has changed a lot since we were last there, the Dolphin centre has been demolished to make way for another skyscraper and there are more and more tall buildings going up.

We went along the road to the Q tower, the tallest building in Australia. This building was still being built when we stayed at the backpackers across the road on a road trip for Smart (the marketing company Dave and I both worked for when we met) in 2005.

Paid $22.00 and went up to the 77th floor in the lift which I didn’t like at all.

Byron Bay Lighthouse
I thought I was going to be freaked out when I got out of the lift but surprisingly I was fine. Up the top was a restaurant/bar surrounded by a huge viewing area with floor to ceiling windows. We could see all the way up and down the coast as well as looking down on all the other buildings in Surfers, it was certainly a spectacular view and you could spend hours up there with a pair of binoculars. Saw the bait & tackle shop my brother used to run, the hotel I stayed in on my first trip to Surfers Paradise, Tambourine Mountain where my brother got married and so many other places that hold memories for me.

Continued down the coast then inland towards Byron Bay, we had a Tom Tom (GPS) so I could relax and watch the scenery instead of watching the map the whole time. Went through Lismore where I had gone on the first Smart road trip and continued on through the countryside past fields filled with sheep and spring lambs.

Arrived in Byron Bay in the afternoon and unfortunately the weather was overcast and windy so no sunbathing.

Beach near Byron Bay
Headed up to the lighthouse for a look, a nice walk up there but not a lot to see due to the weather and it was very chilly up there.

Checked into out backpackers where I had booked us the best room which turned out to be very pleasant for a hostel. It was over 2 floors with the lounge, small kitchen and bathroom with spa bath on the lower floor and the bedroom upstairs with views down the main street of Byron Bay. We also had a small balcony.

We then headed out to find a pub as I wanted to play pokies, I had been hanging out to have a punt since I had left Australia!! Found a local pub near our hostel and the football was playing so we both had a play before Dave left me to watch the football. I ended up money down but had loads of fun and got some small wins. Talked to Bugsey on the phone for a while.

We ended up paying $2.50 and going out the back to see a band in a big dark room with a stage sofas and a bar. The band was rather crap though! Had a pie and some crisps each for supper and returned to the hostel.

Surfers Paradise from Australias …
Surfers Paradise from Australia's…
Australias tallest building