Far South NSW and Sout West Victoria

Lakes Entrance Travel Blog

Kangaroo at Pebbly Beach
I have just returned from a wonderful two week holiday.  The first part of the trip was along the coast of NSW and Victoria.  The first few days were spent in familiar territory with some new stops.  On the first day I went to Pebbly Beach which is a beautiful beach where many kangaroos spend their afternoons.  The kangaroos let you pet them which I have some mixed views on but it was still cool to pet  a kangaroo.  Easter weekend was spent with a friend in Pambula and her family.  It was incredibly kind of them to share their Easter celebrations with me.  Last time I was there I did not make it to the whaling museum so this time it was a priority.
Old Tom's skeleton
  The museum was incredible and the fact that they went out in relatively small boats was even more incredible.  There was a killer whale in the bay named Old Tom who would round up the other types of whales with his buddies and then jump in the air to alert the whalers that they had whales.  The whalers would then come out and kill the whales and as a  reward the whales would be left in the watter for a day so that the killer whales could eat the lips and tongue and then the whalers would take the rest.  This was almost as interesting as seeing a drawing of people being "cured" of their rheumatoid athritis by sitting in a dead rotting whale.  People went back for repeat treatments as they said that it temporarily cured their symptons.  The next day involved an outdoor concert with Casey Chambers and Jimmy Barnes which was a lot of fun.
Lakes Entrance

It was then down to Victoria.  We had a nice drive along the South Coast with a picnic lunch by the Snowy River (no wild horses though).  We arrived in Lakes Entrance with enough time to explore a bit and have a wonderful seafood dinner (one of many).  The drive through Gippsland to Melbourne was quite sad as there is a lot of fire damage.  We went for a hike at Wilson's Promonory which is still incredibly beautiful but there is a lot of fire damage and we did not see any wildlife.  After somehow navigating the streets of Melbourne we arrived at my friend Mel's place.  It was so nice to spend time with someone from home and a good someone from home at that.
Wilson's Promontory
  This time it was more about seeing Mel than seeing Melbourne as I will get back to see the sights.  The first day there we (Mel, myself and her 3 year old son) went downtown to see the sights and wouldn't you know that there was a hotwheels festival that day (Mel's son Wyatt is the biggest hotwheels fan on this planet and that is not an exageration).  Well it hadn't started yet so we went to have a look at the city and managed to keep Wyatt's head from exploding from the excitement.  The festival was a huge success and instead of them packing up all the tracks and cars they told us to take what we wanted so Mel's house got transformed into its own hotwheels festival when we got home.  According to Wyatt it was the best day ever.  When we asked if it was better than Christmas his response was "I said EVER".

Now after the best day ever it is hard to keep travelling but we managed as there was a boat to Tasmania with our names on it well there would have been if we changed our names to the Spirit of Tasmania.
Old Toms skeleton