Arriving in Bundanoon

Bundanoon Travel Blog

Gum Tree

After saying many good-byes it was off to Australia for a year.  Leaving behind family and friends was tough however leaving behind the -32C weather was not so tough.  Considering the travel time was 28 hours it actually went by quite quickly.  It did help that I had a seat to myself for 2 of the 3 flights (not the longest leg though).  The only challenge was that arriving in Dulles Washington there was not gate for us so we sat on the tarmack for 45 minutes which put us past my boarding time for the next flight.  Once we did get off it was a mad dash for the gate.  The gentleman running beside me (his boarding time was even earlier than mine was)  turned to me and asked if it felt like we were on the Amazing Race as we sprinted through the airport.

Road through Morton National Park
  Hopefully he made his flight as I made mine just in time.  The flight was virtually empty as for some reason noone was leaving Washington DC that weekend.  It's almost like there was an historic event about to happen.

Arriving in Sydney I met my colleague and the father of my exchange partner.  My colleague brought me to the Southern Highlands where he showed me round the school and then took me for a much needed cup of coffee.  I am happy to report that there is no shortage of cafes in the Southern Highlands.  It is a beatiful area and I am very fortunate to be staying in a beautiful house for the year.  A friend of my exchange partner came in the afternoon and showed me round the town.

Kookabura
  It is a small town and everything is in walking distance.  The highlight of the day came as we were sitting on her verandah, eating a wonderful meal that she had prepared, and a group of kangaroose came to the paddock across the road to feed.  It was amazing to watch them jump across the field.

Having slept roughly through the night (from 9:30 to 4 waking up only once at midnight) I got up to greet yet another beautiful day.  OK I may have had a little time to get ready before greeting it.  Really good coffee helps with that though.  I went for a run to the National Park and through a bit of it.  Given the number of hills around here I don't think that I am going to need to do seperate hill training.   The park is beautiful and as I ran through the gum trees I heard a very distinct laughter that could only be one thing.  As I passed a picnic are the kookabura very kindly stayed on his (or hers I haven't quite got that far in the identification of Australian birds) perch and posed for a photo.  Since I had stopped for many photo breaks I thought that I would take the tough hill back to increase my workout.  However halfway up I saw three parrots so I had to stop and take a photo.   I figure that as I get used to things here there will be time for more serious runs.  For now I am enjoying the newness.

Parrot