Off and Away!

Abel Tasman Travel Blog

We travelled from Greymouth to Motueka and had some lunch before making our way to the Abel Tasman National Park. It's so gorgeous here, this is now our 3rd time and we just love it. It's a must if your coming to the South Island, it reminds me of Fiji or Hawaii (not that I've actually been there, but from photos of course!). The scenery is just breath taking.

Anyway, we took off today, packs loaded, the sun blaring down at us (I would say it was about 28C or more). We walked for about 4 hours (we are fit, and walk pretty fast mind you!) and decided to camp out at Torrent Bay, or a small campsite before Torrent Bay which is easily accessible and insight. There were about 4 other people camping so it was quite nice. Being Kiwis though I still was annoyed that they were camping there.
. I guess it's the typical Kiwi thing that we're used to having paradise such as this all to ourselves! Which is pretty true, there are so many places in the South Island at least where you can be on a gorgeous deserted beach of your own. Priceless!

We got talking with some English tourists who had come from where we had (the start of the track) and taken 4 days to get where we were now. If you have the time, I suggest doing this because there are alot of bays we skipped because we've been here before. We've stayed at Apple Tree Bay which is only about 1.5 hrs from the start of the track (see other travel blog).

Nathan's feet though came up in huge blisters, as the sole of his boots had fullen through so to speak and therefore we decided that night we would leave tomorrow anyway. My scar on my back had also flaired up and was all puffy and I was a little worried about it. Why is it that everytime we get here something happens and we are forced back? So annoying, I was really looking forward to getting to Totaranui, but we can leave that for another time I guess.

Also worth noting is that it look us an extra 30mins to get to Torrent Bay because it was high tide. When its low tide you can walk across the bay (which is worth it, as I don't think there's much worth seeing on the high-tide track anyway).

We watched a beautiful sunset before dozing off...
sylviandavid says:
It is terrible to have health "issues" when you are traveling... I hate anything that slows me down. sylvia
Posted on: Oct 18, 2007