Let's see all of Paris.. yes, ALL of it.. TODAY!

Montmartre Travel Blog

To say today was busy would be a huge understatement!! =)

We started off going to Montmartre in the morning. We had all been here before but I didn't remember it and we thought it would be nice to walk around this area before heading to some other areas. We took the furnicular up to Sacre Coeur and listened to a wonderful harpist playing in the freezing cold! We walked around Montmartre - what a gorgeous village overlooking central Paris!! We sniffed hungrily at the crepe makers, and made our way to the Espace Dali which had some really exciting sculptures and multiple series of his sketches.

After a luxurious lunch at a great tea room right across from the Sacre Coeur, we shopped a little on our way to the metro station and headed towards Galleries Lafayette.
When we got out of the train station we saw the Opera Garnier first and ended up paying the entrance fee to have a look around. Saying that this place is beautiful is also an understatement. It is one of the most GORGEOUS interiors I have ever seen. Spacious, profound, intricate and lavish. We spent a good hour here before heading to the Galleries where I was mesmerized by the GORGEOUS CLOTHES. One may find it difficult to tell due to what I wear and how infrequently I shop, but I LOVE CLOTHES. A well-chosen outfit can bring out the inner light in a person, I swear! Tracy and Irene pulled me away from the racks but I went headfirst into a rack of dresses and hugged them to me before parting. I knew I had to come back!! The question was.. in our very packed itinerary - when?!

We took some pictures of the beautiful glass ceilings of this shopping mall and then headed to a candy store founded in the 1800's called La Mere de La Maison.
pic in da mirror!
It was kind of disappointing if you ask me - their chocolates looked like those of any other chocolaterie, but they seemed to have a lot of marzipan-made items. I got a little sampling of chocolates for about 8 Euro and I still haven't tried them yet! One of the nice things that we got to experience despite our tiredness was being able to walk through these covered arcades of interesting specialty shops that sold all sorts of crap. Everything from calendars to tiles to antiques to dollhouse furniture to bolts of cloth.

Went home, legs aching, feet practically shut down, and made a huge pasta dinner. I think? Or did we eat 2-course crepes today, I can't recall! What a full and happy day =) Ok, if we DID eat crepes, I had the most amazing chestnut puree dessert crepe EVER. It sort of tasted like Chinese lotus-seed paste, it was spectacular!
vances says:
If you did have crepes with your feet hurting so badly.....would they be crepes of wrath?

Sounds like an enjoyable "pre" trip!!!
Posted on: Jan 26, 2009
Balcony area of Opera
Balcony area of Opera
Ceiling of Galleries Lafayette
Ceiling of Galleries Lafayette
oh, sweet shopping.. how you woo m…
oh, sweet shopping.. how you woo …
This one is for you Nhi!! =)
This one is for you Nhi!! =)
Montmartre