A very eventful journey, and we're not even in Paris yet!

Bailly-Romainvilliers Travel Blog

Look who I ran into at DFW!!
Every time I leave for my travels, there's this comforting routine. I work until about 8pm the two days before I leave, my desk at work is suddenly covered in subway maps and travel guides, I discover new clothes and accessories buried in my closet. "Preparing" for this trip has been somewhat unique as I haven't traveled to cold weather in a very, very long time - and my warm weather clothes have triaged themselves out over the last 11 years on the West Coast. =)

This will be the last time I get to execute this comfortable vacation routine, as I'm off to Central Africa 3 weeks after I return. Not only do I not know when I'm coming back, but I'll be in a different apartment, I won't be working for the same company - lots of uncertainty.

I woke at 5am to catch an 8ish flight from LAX.
On plane in DFW
I was meeting Tracy at DFW - she took a later flight with a shorter layover - something I'm not keen on as I've missed connections that way and that's always resulted in lost luggage and a LOT of hassle. When we landed at DFW, the taxi was a bit long and so I was checking facebook on my cell phone and saw that Steve La Rose - Rob's friend was at DFW. NO WAY! After the very confusion trip through the different terminals at Dallas, we found each other and hugged hello for the first time! How COOL! Steve is sooo sweet, so kind and it was so great meeting him! We took a couple of quick pictures for posterity and stopped by an Irish pub before he left for Sacramento. Poor guy was in transit for 31 hours after delayed, cancelled and missed connections. Sadly, I could not convince him to join us in Paris, hehe!! =)

Tracy joined me soon after and we were off on our journey! Our 9 and a half hour flight got cut down to less than 8, the pilot telling us we had a 200mph tailwind that would put us at a speed of over 700mph! Whooo!! What an exciting announcement =)

When we landed, things got a little dicier - it was very unclear which type of transit card we would get, where to get said transit card, and how to get to our hotel in Disneyland Paris.
on shuttle from airport to Disneyland
Nearly 2 hours later, however, we had Navigo Orange Cards in hand for 38 Euro, were aboard the Disneyland shuttle for 17.50 Euro, and ready to hop on the shuttle to Marriott's Ile de France - catching it on the last day that it was free! Though we got off the plane at 8:30am, we did not get to the hotel until 1:30, which shows you how much moving about, transfers, waiting and general European inconvenience we endured - as we did not get lost once!

At least it's not quite as cold as I expected. Don't get me wrong, it's cold enough your hands need to go into your pockets after about 10 seconds, but Chicago is much worse in Jan, NYC is worse right now, and New Hampshire-ites would laugh and wear T shirts. =) But we'll see what the rest of the week looks like. Things are a bit of a haze after this as we were so exhausted.
Irene, me and Tracy!
Tracy and I ran to the nearby village and found the most delicious Indian food place EVER! Holy cow I have never tasted such amazing Saag Paneer - I think the secret is using French cheeses with indian spices - what a powerful and delicious combination! =) The rain started at this point, but.. no snow yet!

I fell asleep in my big bed after this and was woken up by the front desk calling - Irene had arrived!! YAY!! I haven't seen her in over a year and a half and it was quite a joyful reunion! =) She partook in some of the delicious Indian food, we went to the marketplace to get some quick supplies for the night (for Tracy this means chocolate covered waffles!), and we rented one of my favorite movies of all time - Lilo & Stitch! =D We watched it for a bit and Irene, poor thing passed out in the middle and went to bed.
Obama's Speech
  Our plans are to shop at Champion and have brekkie at that lovely village down the street, then head into La Rive Bouche to see La Sorbonne, St. Sulpice, Jardin de Luxembourg, Saint Chappelle, eat sugared chestnuts at Berthillon and probably hang out at Ile de la Cite.

Happened to catch Obama's speech while blogging. Feeling less guilty about leaving the country during inauguration, as I do highly support Obama and his ideals. Going to have a last Gallouise Blonde and head to bed =) Goodnight all!
free08 says:
Wish I were there!!!
Posted on: Jan 28, 2009
sincitytraveler says:
Wow what a start to your adventure! ;)
Posted on: Jan 27, 2009
TRE69 says:
WAAAHHH! I want to be back in Paris wandering down small streets, drinking chocolat chaud, and eating moules frites!
Posted on: Jan 27, 2009
On plane in DFW
on shuttle from airport to Disneyl…
on shuttle from airport to Disney…
Obamas Speech
Obamas Speech
NaviGO rules! =)
NaviGO rules! =)
Bailly-Romainvilliers Hotels & Accommodations review
Nice suburb of France. Large and comfortable - in true Marriott style
Marriott Ile De France is in a lovely suburb of Paris. Not the easiest place to get to.. Ok, check it out - this is one of the loveliest places you… read entire review
Bailly-Romainvilliers