My time in NZ (2008/09)

Hamilton Travel Blog

A must ;)

Honestly, I don’t even know where to begin because it is such a wonderful time with heaps of great experiences!

Although I’ve been missing my family and friends quite a lot (sometimes even more) it is a fantastic trip, which I would make again!

I met absolutely friendly and open-minded people who’ve allowed me to be a part of their (daily) life and tried to make my time as fantastic as possible.

Auckland - The "City of Sails"

All in all I think the people in New Zealand are friendly and more social than the Germans. That’s a pity but probably true even though there are always exceptions everywhere.

The daily life is more easy-going and not as hectic as in Germany, what I see as a change and a challenge because sometimes the “life without watch” can be a bit annoying (if you’re not used to it).

Furthermore there are so many new things to explore that I can’t list them all!!

Most of the people live really relaxed and don't worry too much. You can buy food in big family packs and many kiwis love their fast food. The environment (streets, parks, etc.) is tidier than in Germany, what’s great. Obviously the guys here know how to use a rubbish bin, thumps up.

A special kiwi tradition is a tasty barbecue in summer when family and friends get together at the weekends. Another tradition is the Santa Parade, which takes place in big cities just before Christmas. I’ve been lucky and became a part of Hamilton’s parade - what an entertaining day!

I could tell hours and hours about the kiwi lifestyle, though.

Karangahake Gorge
It sometimes feels like being in a totally other world but it doesn’t harm me, does it?

Of course, New Zealand is famous for its awesome landscape and the foreign Maori culture. I’ve been able to see both! New Zealand’s blue Pacific, many green hills, deep jungle walks and snowy mountains are pretty varied. I also got the opportunity to experience the Haka (Maori dancing), which brought New Zealand’s culture even a bit closer.

There are countless other nice experiences like “Balloons over Waikato”, the Cats musical, a winter holiday in Wanaka, long bush walks, Christmas in summertime, a trip to Rotorua and Raglan, sailing on the ocean, … I really can’t list them all!

I definitely know for sure that I’ll miss this “Land of the Long White Cloud” quite a lot even though I’m looking forward to coming home  soon after many months. But a next trip to kiwi land is in my mind!

free08 says:
I definitely have to check out New Zealand.
Posted on: Mar 07, 2009
wsquare says:
Your trip is repleted with very refreshing & interesting experiences! Wow wow wow - sailing, balloons,musical show, nature trails, winter snow! amazing! gotta read more.
Posted on: Feb 24, 2009
Auckland - The City of Sails
Auckland - The "City of Sails"
Pukekos
Lake Wanaka
Lake Wanaka
On the beach in Raglan
On the beach in Raglan
Aotearoa - Land of the Long White…
Aotearoa - 'Land of the Long Whit…
Hamilton