A new day – a new track!

Whatawhata Travel Blog

A new challenge?

Today we left after breakfast for a walk along the Karakariki Track.This neat track is one of many different interesting routes through the Waikato region.

Lucky us, it had been raining all night long so that the gumboot fun in the mud would be even bigger, yeah.

We had decided to join some other parents with their kiddies so that my friends’ daughter would have more joy, too.

The first hundred metres across the private farmland and a suspension bridge went very well.

The little waterfall
But as soon as the forest came into sight the dance around muddy paddles began. Well, the children in our group definitely loved this challenge. I won’t blame them?

Some minutes later I was pretty surprised to find some cows in the forest. Honestly, I thought cows enjoy fresh grass in their paddocks but obviously I’ve been wrong. Maybe these animals were a few special kiwi jungle cows, who knows?

The track got more and more exciting because we went along steep and slippery paths, climbed over a few fences and arrived the second suspension bridge after around 45 minutes.

After we had passed this bridge as well we stood in front of a little but lovely waterfall. There we were in another nice place in the middle of New Zealand’s varied forests.

This was the ideal spot for morning teatime and for children’s playtime.

After we had come back home our boots were as grubby as they possibly could have been but, hey, half an hour scrubbing here and scrubbing there and the boots could have been new (okay, nearly new ;-)).

What a good trip and once more I recognized that even going for a walk could be a surprisingly entertaining activity here in NZ!

A cow in the forest - how unusual