Just a little change ... ;-)

Hamilton Travel Blog

A typical driveway

Does living on the opposite side of the world also mean living in another world?

Going on holiday in different countries is really great, no doubt, but living in a foreign country for a while is one of the best experiences ever because you automatically get involved in the daily life and the usual habits and traditions.

Grilling meat
That means you are allowed to look behind the scenes.

Since I’m here in NZ I’ve been lucky and I could discover a lot of little and not so little differences between the life in NZ and a German life. Some differences don’t appear that special but many little ones together form a totally new impression. It’s comparable with a painting. Not just the colours or the motif make the work of art unique, no, the composition of colours, the painter’s mood, motif, perspective and many more aspects form the perfect picture.

First there are the absolutely obvious contrasts like location, time zone, climate or language. Nobody needs to be a genius to recognize these facts but there are countless other things, which are more or less unique!

Here are some of my kiwi experiences in random order:

-         Open-minded and friendly people who enjoy being a part of each other’s lives (great sense of community - I love it).

Who wouldn't like such a birthday cake?

-         ‘Being on time’ seems to be a completely unnecessary vocabulary (I can’t really say I liked this attitude right from the beginning but, okay, after nearly 11 months …;-))

-         Childcare is pretty varied and all parents are lovely integrated  (thumps up!)

-         Amazing how uncomplicated it is to open a bank account (lightning speed is no comparison)

-         Supermarkets with enormous high shelves and pretty long aisles (I felt a bit crushed at the beginning)

-         There’re no one and two cent coins (funny because you often have to pay amounts like 1,98$ or 5,44$ … okay, who’s the winner and who’s the loser?)

-    Supermarkets are open seven days a week for often more than 12 hours (I

wonder who buys so much food? A shopping week with six

days is even more than enough back in Germany)

-    Architecture often reminds of more comfortable bungalows (and I missed a nicely heated room in winter but I guess we’re just too spoiled)

-    The washing machines are a complete contrast compared with our German models (where is hot or at least warm water?)

-    Trains are rare, buses are very popular (poor children who love to watch the trains)

-    100 kph is the highest speed limit on the road out of town (yeah, a shock for every German … don’t forget to brake, though)

-    Fast food is one of the favourites (even little kiddies have chips and fizzy drinks for lunch at crèche … how odd)

-   Cheese cake, cupcakes, chocolate self-saucing pudding, Hokey Pokey ice-cream, mud cake, marshmallows (my extremely sweet tooth can’t resist but, honestly, I don’t really try)

-    If you eat muffin butter on top is a must (but a sweet blueberry or raisin muffin with very salted butter? It's a matter of taste, though)

-    Barbecues and picnics are musts (catch-ups are always great for kiwis especially those where food is involved ;-))

-    The EDMOND'S cookbook with traditional recipes like Pikelets, Fish Pie Supreme and Pavlova is a must in every household (I guess it's
            almost as important as a passport or maybe you even get one along with your birth certificate)

-    A friend told me public holidays are taken pretty seriously that means the public transport is really restricted and heaps of restaurants are also

closed (That would be inconceivable in Germany because a public holiday is high season for restaurants and bars.

It's really a washing machine ;-)
So my Kiwi friends were

absolutely surprised when I told them about traditional Christmas lunches or dinners at restaurants.)

-   Kiwi fruit - the most famous and best exported fruit New Zealand´s that brings heaps of vitamin C to everybody, who takes a bite

-   Buzzy Bee, which is an icon that is so well-known among the country´s children (every Kiwi kiddie owns at least one bee as wooden

toy, stuffed animal, bath toy, ... - it´s a typical must)

free08 says:
This is just great, luv learning new things about different countries.
Posted on: Mar 07, 2009
geokid says:
Thanks for the posting. Great insights!!
Posted on: Mar 03, 2009
Biedjee says:
Hi Kora, I don't know how long you've been away from home, but 1 and 2 cent coins have been largely abolished in Europe as well!
It's just your country that loves those small coins so much :)
Posted on: Feb 25, 2009
Grilling meat
Who wouldnt like such a birthday …
Who wouldn't like such a birthday…
Its really a washing machine ;-)
It's really a washing machine ;-)
Cold + Cold = Very Cold??
Cold + Cold = Very Cold??
One of many different models of a …
One of many different models of a…
Just as a comparison because I´ve…
Just as a comparison because I´v…
Kiwi fruit (almost ripe)