Heading home doesn´t mean I won´t come back!

Auckland Travel Blog

Take off in Auckland

My very, very last day in New Zealand began with rain, which meant the weather conditions underlined my mood quite well even though I was really happy to see my family at home again pretty soon. What an odd feeling!

After I had said bye to my neighbours in Hamilton my Kiwi family drove me to the airport in Auckland.

As we arrived there it was raining cats and dogs and we had a second morning shower within 10 seconds.

The absolutely last goodbye hugs weren´t very easy but we promised to see each other again! Great, something to looking forward to!!

I didn´t even bother paying for the excess baggage because my great memories are much heavier than these few kilos.

That´s for sure!!

I had a window seat all the time that meant I would have more than two or three great views (or at least I thought so) …

I was squeezed exactly between two windows on the flight from Auckland to Sydney, nice one. Okay, I didn´t miss too much because there were grey clouds everywhere but what if the sight would have been good? Never mind.

Sydney was the first stopover on my 32 hours flight around half of the world. Changing the planes didn´t bring any problems and I also got a ´real´ window seat this time.

I was very delighted that we flew across the whole continent, which meant I could enjoy a fantastic view and Austarlia´s amazing landscape!

After eight hours the next stop was in Bangkok, where we landed at night and took off a little bit later.

Leaving Sydney

I admit that I had already lost track of time but as long I was able to identify the correct departure gate everything would be fine. And guess what; I made my way to the right gate ;-) …

The next stage to London would be a bit longer than 12 hours. Didn´t sound like too much fun but, honestly, it wasn´t bad at all. I don´t have difficulties with long-distance flights but they don´t belong to my favourite activities either. However, the sight during the flight is easy to describe: I simply think a night vision gear would have been the only useful help. It´s a pity but I couldn´t totally avoid darkness, could I?

The landing in London (Heathrow) was shortly before sunrise on Saturday.

After I had hopped on the shuttle bus for 11 minutes (and not 18 minutes as announced ��" I´m wondering, who measured this route) I made it through the last security check without problems.

High above Sydney
Then I was waiting for around 90 minutes until the final stage would begin.

It was absolutely strange to hear quite a lot Germans, who were standing near the gate, talking around me. I´ll miss the English language!

The plane took off with a little delay but who really cared? I think everybody would have been surprised if we had started on time from Heathrow.

Some hours ago I had taken photos of a summery Australia and now there was a white and freezing Berlin welcoming me. Hmmm, should I be thrilled or should I stay on the plane and fly back to a warm New Zealand? … Just kidding, at least I had to pick up my waiting family.

The last challenge was the baggage claim but after a short technical struggle every suitcase reached his owner.

And then, finally, I could hug my dear family again. What a really fantastic moment!!

Now I have to tell so many different stories, show more than one ton of photos and have to get used to typical German habits again.

Maybe I should mix the two mentalities to get the best of both worlds! I´ll try my best because New Zealand is a part of me now!
Vlindeke says:
It looks like you had a great time!!
Posted on: Sep 01, 2009
yadilitta says:
you are so right, it doesn't mean you're not going back :)
Posted on: May 23, 2009
Jacqinmiddenamerika says:
It seems to me like a great country :-)
Posted on: May 12, 2009